Pez Leon eating turtle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had sworn off hunting because in some locations sharks were getting too aggressive.

I'll be there in 3 weeks and this has me wanting to FedEx a new spear just for the chance of feeding one to a turtle.

Extremely unusual in more ways than one. Adult green sea turtles are herbivores.

Extremely unusual in more ways than one. Adult green sea turtles are herbivores.
The photo in post 4 matches the one I saw and my turtle ID skills are questionable but to myself it looked like an adult green. I found reports of similar behavior from a green at Akumel (just across the channel) in 2013. In the video on post 9 I understand it was also a mugging, it came up unannounced and snatched it.

08BEB2AB-801C-44C8-ACC5-6406BB50DEE2.png
E9144170-AF69-4910-9A49-493268B4DC01.jpeg

I exported some stills from the video. I don’t see the same neck pattern as post 4 but I quess that can change over time?

I believe there’s no hunting within the marine park - I’ll say it

Quite certain it was a green sea turtle I saw from a distance feeding on a lion fish a few months back. Wasn't close enough to ID it.

Anyone speculate why she isn't herbivores like we think she should be?

Cameron

Quite certain it was a green sea turtle I saw from a distance feeding on a lion fish a few months back. Wasn't close enough to ID it.

Anyone speculate why she isn't herbivores like we think she should be?

Cameron

Juveniles aren't yet completely herbivores but this doesn't look like a juvenile. Perhaps someone had been keeping it as a pet and hasn't developed naturally? Even the aggressive behaviour is odd, meal choice aside.

Back
Top Bottom