Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone, I respect your knowledge, enthusiasm and appreciate the time you take to analyze the options and share your results/opinions. I've learned from you.

Sometimes posts comes across a little harsh. Not just you, but others and I can be harsh as well. Calling certain types of gear or features as gimmicks, inferior, no value, horrible value, paperweights, why do you think you want AI, can be insulting to people who own or are considering buying that feature or gear.

It's almost like ridiculing or mocking someone for owning a jacket BCD, AI hoseless computer, split fins. The needs and wants of a recreational scubadiver is not always the same as a tech diver. Yes, there is a lot of overlap, but the advantages and disadvantages are not on the same importance level.

I like to research gear and I do want what I feel best fits my needs and budget. But, I and many other recreational divers are not in a gear competition. If someone is safe and happy with their gear of choice, great. Regardless if that gear is the same, similar or different to mine.

Speaking of BP/W. What is the justification or value for Halcyon ?

The Halcyon single tank rigs come with the ditchable weight pockets. If they sold the Eclipse without those pockets (it would be nice if they did) then the cost of their complete rig would be closer in price to some other complete rigs out there. Such as a complete BP/W from Dive Right which retails for around $640 and doesn't include ditchable weight pockets.

The X-Deep single tank rig costs a bit more than the Dive Rite.

It's tough to beat a DSS. Features, price, quality.
So you make a good point.

Back on topic: AI is unnecessary. But if divers want that feature, and they don't mind paying the premium for it...go for it.

Jacket BC: I can't think of a reason to recommend one.
There are so many better options out there.

Speaking of BP/W. What is the justification or value for Halcyon ?

Pure quality. The difference is noticeable. Not really necessary, but noticeable.

I'm a gear junkie. I like gear, I like to discuss gear.

My new wife wanted to learn to dive. For her class and cert dives she used my old gear (Transpac, Aqualung blade fins, mask,snorkel, Gekko computer). She loved it, asked me to take her on a tropical dive trip and buy her new gear. I suggested a steel plate BP/W, hog harness, but she didn't want that and she really wanted split fins.

The big picture is my wife wanted to dive. I didn't have to force her, she liked it and she wants to share the experience with me. What gear she chose is not that important. What is important is she likes the gear she chose, it is safe, does not negatively affect her diving, she is happy, I am happy.

One additional benefit is that the screen is always illuminated. This makes a low visibility dive or night dive a much easier. Yes, this means the battery needs to be changed more often but the battery change takes less than a minute (maybe two min if you want to wipe it off with a paper towel first). The only tool needed is a coin to turn the battery cover. AI is a nice feature but I say "nice" because I ran a Suunto Vytek and always ran an analog SPG as a back-up. The AI did fail once due to a dead battery. I still take the old Suunto to help calculate SAC but I throw the Suunto into a pocket or clip to D-ring before jumping in. The log data dump from the Petrel is via Bluetooth and takes a minute instead of the several minute wait with the old Suunto. Most all manufacturers have recently tried to catch up after sitting and letting their technology stagnate for a decade. Heck, our cell phones ten years ago did more than most dive computers several years ago. I was more than happy to give my money to a company that cared to make a good product and picked up a Petrel. It is actually a bargain, relative to its performance. If you want to pick up a standard "puck" computer for now, don't spend more than $150 like the other posters have posted.

Pure quality. The difference is noticeable. Not really necessary, but noticeable.

Halcyon seems to be what one might call "over-engineered." Instead of some piece of gear like a BP/W lasting 10,000 dives like that of other respected manufacturers, Halcyon's version might last 15,000. In other words, the difference is "not necessary," as you said.

Yes, agree. A smaller profile would be nice. I don't mind the straps but would prefer a more elegant user friendly bungee mount system of lacing. I did try bungee but was never satisfied with my results so went back to straps.

I still think a simple watch type strap will be most convenient / flexible in terms of getting it on/off. I actually prefer using that to bungees. Eliminates any need for adjustments when moving between different types of exposure protection, easy to tighten quickly, and wearing it or taking it off is a simple one-handed operation.

Problem with bungees is if it is just nice on a dry suit, it is way too lose in a rash guard (with danger of the dive comp falling off).

I tried fumbling with the stock Petrel staps, and if I adjusted them tight enough, found it very difficult to push the latches close by myself. Also, adjustments are inconvenient.

I still think a simple watch type strap will be most convenient / flexible in terms of getting it on/off. I actually prefer using that to bungees. Eliminates any need for adjustments when moving between different types of exposure protection, easy to tighten quickly, and wearing it or taking it off is a simple one-handed operation.

Problem with bungees is if it is just nice on a dry suit, it is way too lose in a rash guard (with danger of the dive comp falling off).

I tried fumbling with the stock Petrel staps, and if I adjusted them tight enough, found it very difficult to push the latches close by myself. Also, adjustments are inconvenient.
WhiteSands try this. Loosen the straps, close the latches. Pull onto arm then tighten the straps to fit. No problem even one handed.

The problem with watch style straps is they have lousy depth compensation - tight enough on the surface will be loose once your exposure protection compresses at depth (less of an issue with drysuits depending on squeeze preference).

I've found I prefer the stock straps because they strike a good balance between ease of adjustment and constant elastic pressure for depth compensation. Not sure why you'd tighten them before you pushed the latches closed, however. I generally loosen the straps, snap them on around my arm, position the Petrel and then snug the straps up and push the little keeper thingy on the snap down to secure the strap length.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom