Petrel pricing, helo2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do what we all do, funnel small amounts into a secret scuba account over time. It seems like you've been hooked already... In which case, you need a scuba fund. $850 seems daunting now, just wait.

Steel tanks - $400/ea (4 minimum needed!)
Manifold and Tank bands - $300 (2 sets)
Dry Suit - $2000
Canister Light - $1000
Backup Lights - $100/ea
Reels - $100-$250 (Minimum 2)
Lift Bag - $100

Rebreather - $10,000

Not having to explain to your wife why each of these things is necessary...PRICELESS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Or do what I do, never let the wife see the finances.
You missed out compressor. $4500+

Or do what I do, never let the wife see the finances.
You missed out compressor. $4500+

Oy, Oy yeah. Compressor, O2 & Helium Booster, Stage Bottles, O2 Bank, Helium Bank, Dive Boat, Coral Atoll.... Go big or stay on shore!

I have 5000 dives under my belt, and I just got a Shearwater this spring, but i got it at dealer cost, and mostly I wanted because I'm old and it's easy to read!

Personally, I think you're wasting your money. At your level of experience, I'd have a hard time calling you a committed diver. Great you like it, but everyone likes it at first. If money is an issue, then there's probably better ways you could spend some of that... Like by going diving.

On the other hand, if you're loaded, go for it. It's a really nice pooter, but you'll be using about 2% of it's capabilities.

By the time you get into tech, there will be something new and better anyway...

I have 5000 dives under my belt, and I just got a Shearwater this spring, but i got it at dealer cost, and mostly I wanted because I'm old and it's easy to read!

Personally, I think you're wasting your money. At your level of experience, I'd have a hard time calling you a committed diver. Great you like it, but everyone likes it at first. If money is an issue, then there's probably better ways you could spend some of that... Like by going diving.

On the other hand, if you're loaded, go for it. It's a really nice pooter, but you'll be using about 2% of it's capabilities.

By the time you get into tech, there will be something new and better anyway...

I can totally respect and appreciate your statement. I am just getting into diving and hope to make it a true hobby, not something that I do for a couple of years and lose interest. Speaking of interests, if seems you do some photography as well. You have some nice work. That is one thing I would like to do more of. Here are a few that were taken off Key Largo a couple of years back, a few of which we had printed on canvas. https://plus.google.com/photos/1072...s/5783675987801636497?authkey=CKSjxcW3r-DTqgE This was using a little Canon S100 but the pics turned out pretty well I think. And a day that I was obsessed with hummingbirds (Nikon D200 with a fixed 400 and a doubler). https://plus.google.com/photos/1072...s/5516545671919020961?authkey=CMK_wKKz1tPWqgE

Back to the original thread, I have found a used petrel on Craig's List for $700. He says its in perfect shape with about 30 hours on it. I am going to ask for the serial and go through that whole process. The guy is currently out of town but is going to get back with me soon with pictures and more details. We will see how that goes. Luckily I have found my justification. All I have to do is tend to a friend's farm for a little over a week and that should cover a big chunk of the price. The rest I would be putting toward a computer anyway. Ohh well I guess being a "technology whore" (my cousin's definition of my "problem") works out sometimes. :D

Oy, Oy yeah. Compressor, O2 & Helium Booster, Stage Bottles, O2 Bank, Helium Bank, Dive Boat, Coral Atoll.... Go big or stay on shore!

Don't forget $7,000-$12,000 for a DPV.

Don't forget $7,000-$12,000 for a DPV.

It just never ends! Petrel (or three) seems like a drop in the bucket!

The Petrel is hands-down the best bang for the buck I've spent on dive gear. My Genesis is more fun and more useful, but was almost ten times the price of a dealer-cost Petrel. As between the rEvo and the Petrel, I like the Petrel better...just works, almost no maintenance, easy to use and carry. At least the rEvo was cheap(ish). My herd of M1s with cave rings are up there in the cost/value rankings, too, but the Petrel is damn hard to beat.

Once you get past single tank diving, talking about the cost of a $850 computer that does what a Petrel does and is supported the way Shearwater supports you...is just funny. If I didn't have a hardwired SW on my rEvo, I'd still own two Petrels.

As an aside, I think one of the reasons the Petrel has such a vocal support group is the same reason I say it's such a great bang for the buck piece of dive gear: I can't think of anything about it that I don't like.

My DPV? Don't like how much it cost, that I can't take even its relatively portable LiIon batteries on an aircraft outside the US easily, or that replacement batteries are around $4000. CCR? Don't like what a PITA it is to do right, how likely it is to kill me for being lazy about doing it right, or how limiting it feels to dive it versus the easy of OC (wouldn't trade it for anything when diving past 300' or for more than a couple hours, though). The old Predator? Hated the SAFT batteries, the size, the bracket, and the way the battery tray worked. My M1s? Still not SS bodies on the 1st stages yet.

But the Petrel? Sure, it does everything I want it to do, but so does everything else I dive. The Petrel's charm is there's not a damn thing I'd change about it. Now, if I wanted it to have AI and it didn't...I'd probably be more ambivalent about it. How often do any of us find something we wouldn't change/that doesn't nag at us even a tiny bit?

For a used Petrel, you can get a non-EXT version for as low as the seller's willing to go, which is generally in the $650-$750 range, citing the $850 new price.

So how do people appraise these for depreciation? By the number of dives on it? How long the person owned it? Physical condition?
$100-200 less than new is a pretty general statement. Is it customary to automatically assume that because it's been owned it is somehow less of a computer or won't work any better than a new one?

I get that it's as low as the seller is willing to go, but I think that's at least partly based on pressure from the masses. Yes, ultimately, the seller has the final say on price. I supposed it's relative to their desperation to unload what they're selling in order to get what they're wanting. If they don't need to sell it they can demand whatever price they want and if it doesn't sell it's no loss to them.

So how do people appraise these for depreciation? By the number of dives on it? How long the person owned it? Physical condition?
$100-200 less than new is a pretty general statement. Is it customary to automatically assume that because it's been owned it is somehow less of a computer or won't work any better than a new one?

I get that it's as low as the seller is willing to go, but I think that's at least partly based on pressure from the masses. Yes, ultimately, the seller has the final say on price. I supposed it's relative to their desperation to unload what they're selling in order to get what they're wanting. If they don't need to sell it they can demand whatever price they want and if it doesn't sell it's no loss to them.

There's no real science to it, you eyeball the condition and take something of a leap of faith buttressed by SW's excellent service reputation. You may get someone who holds out for the highest offer, you may get someone who says :censored: it, I just want it sold. But generally speaking, used SW computers do much better than your average SCUBA gear. The Predators seem to be running in the $550-$750 range for a SA and more for the Fischer cable version, while Petrels run $100-$200 below the $850 retail for the SA, with some bump being given for the VPM unlock. Then again, you may be able to haggle a SW dealer closer to their cost...which is coincidentally right about what a used Petrel seems to fetch.

Well I have finally done it. :D Just for reference for those also looking for a used Petrel, the agreed on price was a flat $700. However I threw in some extra for shipping to make sure I got it by this weekend for a dive. For "NOW" my gear is finally complete, well, kinda.... a new low volume mask would be nice. And that backup flash light.... DAMN! Thanks to all that posted to this thread! The quarry calls! Happy diving!

20141003_091903.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom