Petrel Firmware V29 Released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

going out Tuesday and Wednesday to play with the compass in lake travis

I used the compass on my Petrel teaching a deep diver class at Mansfield Dam on Travis recently...worked great! My biggest issue with it is remembering I don't have to shine my light at it to see it like my old computer :D

For me the cardinal direction flash would be a distraction. Some of us think in azimuth space, rather than in quadrants. ;~)

This ^

The red portion of the little compass "needle" always points North, so while I totally respect you thinking in cardinal "direction" rather than azimuth, you already have the primary cardinal direction (NORTH) marked by the compass itself.

Completely understood, but when you are progressing South, East/West is flipped causing one (me) to have to think for a second. Red is North, but if you point North and "Mark Compass" North will be marked in green on the big compass and South in red. Now North isn't red anymore.

I still contend that the occasional letter that appears when passing through a cardinal direction won't cause anyone any stress, quite the reverse. It is just a quick confirmation that links the two systems of identifying direction.

Completely understood, but when you are progressing South, East/West is flipped causing one (me) to have to think for a second. Red is North, but if you point North and "Mark Compass" North will be marked in green on the big compass and South in red. Now North isn't red anymore.

I still contend that the occasional letter that appears when passing through a cardinal direction won't cause anyone any stress, quite the reverse. It is just a quick confirmation that links the two systems of identifying direction.

True, but what if I have to follow a heading of 180 degrees, and every time I try to lock in 180 degrees, a big "S" pops up? Then I'll have to "think" about whether the S is equal to 180 degrees, or if 180 is the azimuth between 179 and 181 degrees. That's more thinking than I'm willing to do underwater.

:D:D:D Haha

Actually, either way is fine with me...I'm just super impressed at the customer support we get from the Company in listening to (and in some cases incorporating) our suggestions. Safe diving!

Oh! I see the confusion. No, I'm suggesting that the "four letters" are ONLY FOR THE TINY COMPASS.

Leave the big one alone, they nailed it. I'm still fine with it if you guys want nav squares and triangles on the big one when you "Mark Compass", they won't distract me. :D

The same for predator would be lovely!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got to use the new feature this week. Absolutely love that small compass with the red North. Most of my diving navigation just requires me to know the one direction. Quick glance at my wrist and I got all the info I need. Thanks for another great addition to an already outstanding dive computer.

The same for predator would be lovely!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asked their support staff if anything was coming, and they said unfortunately the Predator doesn't have any more memory available for more features. It's a bummer, but I'm still going to dive my Predator until it dies before I switch.

Last edited:
Oh my - lowviz, I will never reply to a compass suggestion for the Petrel. I had no idea that everyone has strong, but well-founded opinions on compasses. Even someone with occasional task loading issues, changing the four letters on the tiny compass are fine with me. ����

This ^
The red portion of the little compass "needle" always points North, so while I totally respect you thinking in cardinal "direction" rather than azimuth, you already have the primary cardinal direction (NORTH) marked by the compass itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom