Petite female bcd..From Back inflate to ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tec harnesses look great, so streamlined and smooth... BUT then you add big weight pockets to them, and then you need storage pockets, and you’re running out of room so things are clipped outside, but they dangle so you try to bungee them, or maybe a retractor, and pretty soon that sleek tech harness is a bulky mess of stuffed on additions. I wish mine had more pocket space, thinking of getting pocket shorts.

So how do "real" tech divers that carry stages, light canisters, and the like do it. First, there is something called a weight belt, this is put on under the BP/W. If you only need a little ditchable weight then use a free diver rubber belt. If you need more then use a conventional belt with suspenders. Remember your plate is 6 lbs, so that weight is taken off your belt.

Rather than clipping things everywhere, only take what you need. Your SMB or lift bag can be stored under the pad on your plate. Backup lights are stored on the D-rings and held in place by a bungee loop. If you want more storage glue pockets on your wet or dry suit or wear pocket shorts.

If you want to turn your BP/W into a BC, it is going to look like one.

So how do "real" tech divers that carry stages, light canisters, and the like do it. First, there is something called a weight belt, this is put on under the BP/W. If you only need a little ditchable weight then use a free diver rubber belt. If you need more then use a conventional belt with suspenders. Remember your plate is 6 lbs, so that weight is taken off your belt.

Rather than clipping things everywhere, only take what you need. Your SMB or lift bag can be stored under the pad on your plate. Backup lights are stored on the D-rings and held in place by a bungee loop. If you want more storage glue pockets on your wet or dry suit or wear pocket shorts.

If you want to turn your BP/W into a BC, it is going to look like one.
You are so right! If I get a backplate I would like to set it up like this. Unfortunately as I am 5’3” there is not room for two things around my waist. A rubber Freediving belt is what I want to try there, and I’m trying to figure out how to rig a BC harness without a waist stap, but maybe with a crotch stap... has anyone done this?

Also the weight belt to be ditchable would need to be over the crotch strap, but to be able to doff/don the bc without taking off weight, it would need to be under, so it’s a conundrum. What would you do?

Also the weight belt to be ditchable would need to be over the crotch strap, but to be able to doff/don the bc without taking off weight, it would need to be under, so it’s a conundrum. What would you do?
I keep it under. It is not that hard to pull it, unless you have crazy amount of weights on it. My limit is 5 kgs. More than that, it goes onto a rig.

We have the Transpac XTs with 25lbs Travel XT wings. We bought it as our first bcds after about 30 dives. We chose it because it was a hybrid. We have not learned to like it yet. It’s fiddly and “work intensive” like a bp/w but to a lesser extent. Getting it to fit just right takes some work. It requires weight pockets (16 QR weight pockets included in my package, but tank weight pockets were extra). We also need storage pockets which are also extra. It’s heavier than we like for air travel - it’s just under 8lbs. I’m a 5’4” average build female. It’s built like a tank though so that’s great if you dive lots.

We went out and impulse bought Oceanic Biolite bcds for our most recent trip. It was so easy, like night and day. Light too, just around 5 lbs. Needless to say, we kinda fell in love with the Biolite for our diving style.

We’re going to give the Transpac a chance to redeem itself on our next liveaboard trip. If we still haven’t learned to love it after that, we will be selling it.

Once you get everything tight...you shouldn't have to adjust the shoulder straps to get in and out of it. Also, I've seen some people try and use it without the crotch strap and I have tried it myself without it and the tank feels like it rolls badly side to side.

You can do both. For awhile I used a rubber freediving belt with my BPW. I let the belt ride very low on my hips and belted it under the crotch strap. But I need so little weight that now I just use the small DGX pockets. Two on the waist webbing and then a few pounds on the tank camband. I have a weight pocket on the camband but usually just thread the weight on with the webbing through the slots on the weight.

BTW I have a spare older style of the Freedom Plate, size small, that I might be willing to part with.

Here is a good thread on the issue: Harness crotch question, weight belt over or under?

Personally, I never had to drop a weight belt at depth. When I need to take it off is usually on the surface to pass it up to the crew on the boat.

Why do you think you couldn't ditch the weight belt if it was under the harness? You'd just have to release two buckles instead of one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom