Peter Hess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Peter Hess: wreck diver and attorney who litigated on behalf of divers' rights to recover artifacts from US wrecks has died. Peter was a Boston Sea Rover, Admiralty Lawyer, and former Board Member of the Explorers Club. His contributions will be long remembered.
ls
23085_1061553900_4088_n.jpg

I heard about Peter's passing from Bernie Chowdhury, who has no other details yet.

So sad to hear about this. I've read many a story about Peter.

Jest got this from his ex:

Friends of Peter Hess:
It's with much sadness that I tell you that Peter passed away this morning.
I know you all meant the world to him, and, of course, he leaves behind his
10-year-old son Benjamin.
There will be information about services in a day or two in the News
Journal. Please visit delawareonline.com for more information.
Thanks.
Maria Hess

Here is a video that was posted yesterday:
Peter Hess Dives the Chinese TF 12 Hardhat at the NEDEG 2011 Memorial Day Rally at Dutch Springs - YouTube

Peter Hess Tribute - YouTube

condolences to his family and by his work a sad moment for diving.

I am deeply saddened by Peter's passing. I hope that the details regards his service will be posted on this thread. -Fred Hagen

I'm sorry to hear this. Pete was a fraternity brother of mine loooong ago but we lost touch. My condolences to all his friends and family.

Nauga,
who is reminiscing and laughing

Peter Edwin Hess

Peter Edwin Hess: Our son, brother, uncle, friend and dad

Peter passed away suddenly on January 12, 2012. He will be missed dearly by his family and friends, but mostly by his beloved son Benjamin. Peter was 52.

Peter was an avid shipwreck underwater explorer and maritime attorney for more than 30 years. His clients have been involved with the recovery of Spanish galleons, Gold Rush shipwrecks, windjammers laden with Oriental porcelain, 20th-century luxury liners, warships and warplanes, and sunken pleasure yachts. Peter led and/or participated in five archaeological expeditions to the 235-foot-deep USS Monitor.

It was Peter's unyielding and passionate advocacy for divers worldwide that allowed access to historical wrecks, which led to the creation of several maritime and nautical exhibits throughout the world.

A Fellow in the Explorers Club, Peter served as the chairman of the Philadelphia Chapter from 1994 until 1998. He was elected to the club's board of directors in 1996 and was appointed vice president for membership and to a second term. He was named chairman of the Explorers Club's Legal Committee.

Peter was a serious history buff, putting to shame anyone who dared challenge him in Jeopardy. His love of war gaming started as a child, where he spent countless hours painting toy soldiers with great precision. He maintained lifelong friendships with fellow war gamers who replicated battles, particularly the Civil War.

Peter graduated from Brandywine High School. He earned his bachelor's at the University of Virginia--which he believed firmly was the only university that truly mattered--then graduated from Tulane University Law School. He was considered an expert in the fields of exploration, maritime and admiralty law. He lectured throughout the world.

Peter was a vociferous Eagles fan. He loved to watch games with his son while devouring chicken wings. His Mardi Gras parties were legendary, and his love of life and people was evident in everything he did. He had a preference for '70s clothing, which, amazingly, still fit and came back in style regularly.

Peter is survived and loved by his parents, Grayce and Sid Hess, his son Benjamin Hess, his friend and Ben's mom Maria Hess, his sisters Debra Hess Norris (Bob Norris) and Diana Hess-Fisher (Mark Fisher), his nieces, Sarah and Maggie Norris and Paige Fisher, and his nephew, Brendon Fisher. He will be remembered fondly by many.

Peter never had a negative word to say about anyone. We will carry his optimism and generosity with us forever. His son will miss him so very much. Sail on, Peter.

Services will be held at Concord Presbyterian Church, 1800 Fairfax Blvd., Wilmington, DE 19803 on Saturday, January 21 at 11 am. A celebration of Peter's life will follow the service in the church's Fellowship Hall. Burial will be private.

In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to the Benjamin Hess College Fund, and may be mailed to: M&T Bank, Fairfax, 2301 Concord Pike, Wilmington, DE 19803. Please make the check payable to M&T Bank and please mention the Benjamin Hess College Fund in the memo.

Messages of condolence

may be sent to www.

mccreryandharra.com

Published in The News Journal from January 14 to January 16, 2012

All,

We are checking in with Mike Dudas to see if anyone else isputting together a photo show for the family of diving related pictures. However,since I have not heard of one being pulled together yet by someone else, Ithought we should get started now. If you have any pictures of Peterspeaking, diving, etc or of wrecks and artifact that Peter might have helpedyou with, I’m looking to start to pull together a slide show. Send any photos to karenflynn@cablespeed.com. Since anumber of folks here don’t know me personally, and haven’t seen my work, here isa link to a video put together for Greg Masi in 2009 -

http://youtu.be/ZCLpPYKJ9nI

This should give you a sense of what I’m looking for. Ifanyone knows of some favorite music of Peter’s that would be good to knowtoo. If you have any questions, let me know –

Karen Flynn
Atlantic Wreck Divers of MD

My son is ADHD/LD but a competent diver. Diving is one of his very few "successes" in life. Peter always had time to "notice" my son, much to both of our delight. Peter loved divers, All divers. You didn't have to be a BIG diver, just a diver. When "BC" couldn't be bothered to stop by the Explorer's club meeting at his own Whydah exhibit (he ran in Phila), Peter came over to my son who was still holding his books he wanted signed and made things better. You ARE the MAN, Peter, always will be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom