PET/ear problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue J

Contributor
Reaction score
I have PET, a condition where the eustachian tube opens but then remains open for an extended time. The result is an uncomfortable sensation like hearing through a conch shell. I can hear my own breathing and voice regulation is difficult. Out of the water, it usually happens in cold-weather conditions, often when I blow my nose. I correct it by holding my nose and sucking in, then yawning to correct the over-equalization (if that's a word:D). My hearing can be ****ed up for hours at a time.

My question is, has anyone had experience with PET and diving? I have no doubt I could easily clear my ears, but I'm concerned that diving would exacerbate the PET. So far I've resisted the urge to dive, but my 11 yo daughter is so eager to join her 13 yo brother in getting certified that I think I need to give scuba another serious look. And, okay, I REALLY want to dive. I just don't want to permanently damage my ears.

Thanks for any info!

Back
Top Bottom