Peso Exchange Rates and the Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DjDiverDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As I watch the Peso go into a bit of a free fall - this morning Bloomberg reports that the Exchange Rate for Dollars and Pesos was just a tad over 16.44 Pesos to the Dollar, I was wondering when, if ever, the Cozumel Taxi drivers would finally adjust. Are most taxis still quoting rates in Dollars at a 10-1 Exchange Rate? I know that last December there were a FEW taxis that would give a marginally better rate -- maybe 11-1, or even 12-1 (if you haggled with them), at a time when Banks were giving almost 15-1, but it seemed those were few and far between.

Also, just to get an idea of the spread, anybody who has exchanged currency today, what rate were you given/quoted, and where? What rates are the Banks giving on Dollars for Pesos? What rate will Mega or Chedruai give you?

Banks and supermarkets generally give the current exchange rates. Taxi drivers, not so much. Very few of them have calculators with them and 10:1 is easy in-the-head math, and tourists rarely argue with them over the exchange rate, so I guess it's not surprising they stick with it. The easy thing to do if you are concerned about the extra money they get is to pay in pesos. But when I have been caught with only dollars and the driver says 80 pesos, I have countered with something like, "That's about six US, right?" As long as it's not less than the correct rate they don't complain. I've never had a driver insist on 10:1.

Comparing Cozumel taxi drivers to the mafia is ludicrous.

The bank branded ATM'S in Mega exchange at or near the official bank rate. I only use Pesos on the island and try to have the correct change when flagging a taxi. A taxi that makes change is about as common as a Unicorn.

I don't expect taxi drivers to ever change their rate. The math is easy at 10:1, and in my opinion they are doing you a favor by accepting dollars. Taxis could just say they won't. They have a monopoly on transportation- so tourists would then have to get pesos.

Plus, with a huge portion of the tourists being cruisers who think they are getting a good deal on taxis (other islands are much more expensive), despite being told what a rip off the dollar rate is; there isn't a lot of outrage to get taxis to change what they are doing.

It does bug me when they can't give change in pesos for relatively small bills (like 100s). I understand not being able to get change in dollars; but not having change in the countries currency is just trying to rip off tourists.

Comparing Cozumel taxi drivers to the mafia is ludicrous.
I don't know- stories of them harassing locals for providing rides to tourists, or forcing divers out of a dive shop owned vehicle to take a ride in a taxi instead sure sounds like the comparison isn't too far off. I didn't have first hand experience with this, but there were a few days that we got parked out of the way so the taxis at the marina wouldn't see our dive shop unload the vehicle of divers from town.

I don't know- stories of them harassing locals for providing rides to tourists, or forcing divers out of a dive shop owned vehicle to take a ride in a taxi instead sure sounds like the comparison isn't too far off. I didn't have first hand experience with this, but there were a few days that we got parked out of the way so the taxis at the marina wouldn't see our dive shop unload the vehicle of divers from town.

It's typical of union behavior, but pretty tame compared to what some unions in the US have done in the past. They haven't killed anyone as far as I know. Calling them the mafia is hyperbole, IMO, started by folks who got irritated at them for what is really minor stuff. You can't take a taxi from the airport? No big deal.

I'm not surprised that dive ops take measures not to confront the taxistas, though; we come and go but they have to live there and it's a very small island.

I was wondering when, if ever, the Cozumel Taxi drivers would finally adjust.

The taxistas have every reason to continue to use 10:1 forever. The only thing that would make that change would be if the rate were to drop below 10:1, in which case you'd better believe they'll change immediately.

stories of them harassing locals for providing rides to tourists, or forcing divers out of a dive shop owned vehicle to take a ride in a taxi instead sure sounds like the comparison isn't too far off.

There are some great taxistas who go out of their way for passengers, but I've certainly seen some of the behavior you describe. I've also had some flat-out lie to me about various things.

I'm not surprised that dive ops take measures not to confront the taxistas, though; we come and go but they have to live there and it's a very small island.

Yes, mafia is hyperbole- but what you are saying here is that the bullying has business owners changing their behavior for fear of retribution ('they have to live there'). Isn't it -slightly- deserved hyperbole?

The airport thing is union behavior; that doesn't really bother me. But the union should not be able to control people in a totally different industry.

I ALWAYS pay taxis in Pesos. Just as I almost always pay in Pesos for pretty much everything else in Cozumel, with the exception of the Dive Op (which quotes in Dollars, and sometimes requires a Dollar Deposit when I reserve online). And yes, "taxi mafia" is a BIT of hyperbole - but I've had enough bad experiences, Taxis quoting much more than the fixed fare and arguing when you pull out a copy of the rate sheet, taxis insisting they don't have any change for a 200 Peso Note and trying to get Dollars (at 10-1) rather than making change, taxis stopping to pick up a local, collecting a fare from the local, then insisting on the full fare when they drop me off, that I think it is not undeserved. And I know that ATMs at banks will give "the current rate", but I was looking for a number - If I were to walk into ScotiaBank or Banamex on Cozumel today to change $500 into Pesos, what rate would they give me? Less than the rate of 16.44 reported on Bloomberg, I know, since that rate is only really for multimillion dollar exchanges between big banks, but how much less? 16.00 to the Dollar? 16.15 to the Dollar? Has anyone exchanged recently, and what rate did you get?

The airport thing banning taxis and using Vans may not be to your liking, nor mine but it is very practical. Would you want the already crowded parking lot lined up with taxis? No, the current system, while not to be liked is still very practical IMHO.

Dave DillehayAldora Divers

PS If you don't like it, just drag your bag out to the traffic circle and you will be picked up in a few minutes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom