Person crushed in Palm Beach inlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Catito I'm so very sorry that you had to witness this. Be good to yourself.

Horrible accident, that needn't have happened. Analysis seems clear to me. How many crew aboard? Why was no one on board watching the jumper and thereby knowing victim's location?

I witnessed, from our dive boat, a fiasco of a “rescue” by a private yacht and tug boat. Our Cpt tried to call them off when the two boats were attempting to retrieve a man who had jumped off the yacht to “save” some people from their capsized boat. All had life jackets except the lone man. No one was in danger of drowning. They were in the inlet surrounded by boats. Our Cpt said to back out and he would retrieve the man. But no.

The man swam to the ladder of the yacht. The yacht kept backing up (fast), we all yelled for them to stop…and the man on the ladder was crushed between the tug boat (which was in the way) and the yacht. It was terrible. CPR by PBSO could not save the man. It was a totally unnecessary death.

RIP. So sorry for the family.
I witnessed, from our dive boat, a fiasco of a “rescue” by a private yacht and tug boat. Our Cpt tried to call them off when the two boats were attempting to retrieve a man who had jumped off the yacht to “save” some people from their capsized boat. All had life jackets except the lone man. No one was in danger of drowning. They were in the inlet surrounded by boats. Our Cpt said to back out and he would retrieve the man. But no.

The man swam to the ladder of the yacht. The yacht kept backing up (fast), we all yelled for them to stop…and the man on the ladder was crushed between the tug boat (which was in the way) and the yacht. It was terrible. CPR by PBSO could not save the man. It was a totally unnecessary death.

RIP. So sorry for the family.
I was on the same charter. Small world. That accident went from chaos to tragedy very quickly. Just terrible. My prayers to the victims family. Wish they all would’ve listened to our Captain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom