Person crushed in Palm Beach inlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I witnessed, from our dive boat, a fiasco of a “rescue” by a private yacht and tug boat. Our Cpt tried to call them off when the two boats were attempting to retrieve a man who had jumped off the yacht to “save” some people from their capsized boat. All had life jackets except the lone man. No one was in danger of drowning. They were in the inlet surrounded by boats. Our Cpt said to back out and he would retrieve the man. But no.

The man swam to the ladder of the yacht. The yacht kept backing up (fast), we all yelled for them to stop…and the man on the ladder was crushed between the tug boat (which was in the way) and the yacht. It was terrible. CPR by PBSO could not save the man. It was a totally unnecessary death.

RIP. So sorry for the family.

I'm sorry this happened.

The yacht kept backing up (fast), we all yelled for them to stop…and the man on the ladder was crushed between the tug boat (which was in the way) and the yacht. It was terrible.
How terrible. I hope the yacht driver loses his boat and worse.

I witnessed, from our dive boat, a fiasco of a “rescue” by a private yacht and tug boat. Our Cpt tried to call them off when the two boats were attempting to retrieve a man who had jumped off the yacht to “save” some people from their capsized boat. All had life jackets except the lone man. No one was in danger of drowning. They were in the inlet surrounded by boats. Our Cpt said to back out and he would retrieve the man. But no.

The man swam to the ladder of the yacht. The yacht kept backing up (fast), we all yelled for them to stop…and the man on the ladder was crushed between the tug boat (which was in the way) and the yacht. It was terrible. CPR by PBSO could not save the man. It was a totally unnecessary death.

RIP. So sorry for the family.

I hope you’ve already contacted the authorities to make a statement, if they’ve not already gotten one from you.

What does PBSO stand for?

What does PBSO stand for?
Palm Beach Sheriff's Office maybe.
I hope you’ve already contacted the authorities to make a statement, if they’ve not already gotten one from you.
Yep. There are several news stories on the accident, none of which tells the story correctly. One says "A private vessel and a tow boat also assisted to get people out of the water."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom