Persistent Reverse Block

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaverickNH

Contributor
Reaction score
I did what I knew I probably shouldn't have done. I was recovering from a mild headcold and went on a planned drive trip to Cozumel, taking 12hr antihistamine/decongestants to manage lingering sinus congestion. After a shallow shore dive, I found I could clear easily, so continued with the dive schedule of 2-3 dives per day at 40-80fsw.

On the 2nd dive, I got a reverse block at 20ft on ascent, that wouldn't release underwater, but it subsided during the 1hr surface interval. I kept getting reverse blocks over the next few days but they released within a few hours of surfacing.

Over 18hr after my last dive, as per DAN recommendations, I flew home, having had no block since a few hours after my last dive. I experienced pressure/pain at altitude on both legs of the trip home. The pain resolved on landing each time, but I'm left with a persistent right sinus blockage. I can clear my ears by Valsalva easily, but I still feel a blocked/full sinus with some right ear involvement. Numbness of some right upper teeth as well, suggesting sinus pressure on the nerve.

I have an ENT appointment on 24April (none sooner). I'm still taking 12hr antihistamine/decongentants and have used a nasal saline rinse throughout.

Any thoughts?

It sounds like you're pretty much on the right track. Antihistamines probably won't help unless there's an allergy component, but decongestants may. Some people who are in your situation find that taking an NSAID like ibuprofen is helpful. Of course, follow the package directions and check with your physician if you're taking any other medications.

Best regards,
DDM

Been there, done that. Doc will probably prescribe an antibiotic for the sinus infection and possible inner ear infection plus a prednisone dose pack for the inflammation.

By the time your appt. rolls around, it will most likely be gone as long as you stay dry.

Sleep with you bad ear to the pillow to let gravity help clear you out. Works for me.

I'm a bit intrigued by balloon sinuplasty. It's far less invasive than drilling holes and such. But if my block clears with meds/time and was attributable to diving with congestion, such measures would be unneeded. I had just done two dive the week before in FL without issue, so I'm hoping it is not a recurrent problem.

I was thinking of picking up some antibiotics in Cozumel - they are off-the-shelf there, but I feared they were all counterfeit placebo, or worse...

Back
Top Bottom