Perhentian Besar july

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeja26

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
We will be on Perhentian during the first week of July, staying at Abduls Chalet (SW corner).
I would like to ask if anybody has any experience with local dive centers and what to see / not to see in the area.
We are a group of at least 5 divers (AOW and AOW junior)
Thanks

I would dive with Watercolours if you are going to stay on Besar. I worked for them a few years and honestly they had the best set-up of any dive shop I have worked at.
They keep group sizes to a maximum of 4 and group divers by experience and/ or dives.

Watercolours| Dive Center Malaysia

They are mildly more expensive than other dive shops (by about $2 a dive) but for this you will never have to set-up or wash your equipment and there's a snack and debrief session after each dive; it's worth it for the pancakes alone.

Top 3 dives are:
1: Sugar Shipwreck; 18m max depth
2: Terumbu Tiga; 23m max
3: The Temple (I forget the Malay name) 26m max depth.

However there are some nice surprises. A drift away from the vietnamese wreck will throw up Seahorses, cool nudis and the like. Sea Bell (might still be closed due to bleaching) is a stunning circular reef.

Have fun let me know how it goes.

Stew

3: The Temple (I forget the Malay name) 26m max depth.
Tokong Laut : the temple of the sea

Terumbu tiga is also called Tiger rock if I remember, was not bad either similar league as Tokong Laut...

thanks you guys

ikke noget problem!

I forgot about one other dive site. The previous owner of Watercolours (Anke) found a small wreck about 30minutes away from Besar. It's a pretty plain barge, but there are only 2 dive centres that know it's location; the other being Bubbles dive centre (guess where their manager used to work? :wink: )
Although it is a very small wreck, because no-one else goes there it has an amazingly amount of fish-life on it. A hoard of Batfish crowd the submerged marker buoy. I narrowly missed a Guitar Shark the only time I got to go there. What else? Emperor Snapper, Lionfish (a rarity in Perhentian) Cobia... so much a beautiful dive.

"ikke noget problem!"
so the vikings have been there too:D

yeah - you could do with a brush up, but seen worse :chuckle:
I have tried contacting them today and waiting to hear what they have to offer. Thanks for the tip

I too would have too agree with everything 'The Wart' says, I too have worked for Watercolours and will again this year as well (might see you). There is not much more for me to add here, as 'The Wart' said it all, very accurate!!!!

Have fun and come see us.

Hi tboxcar. Thanks. I hear Abduls have their own little setup (wich makes things a bit easier :wink: ) but I will be in contact with you for when I get down there as I would like to dive with you guys too. I am not sure of our final plans yet for the week but I will be in touch.

Back
Top Bottom