Perforated Eardrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yesdear20003

Reaction score
hello i was (am) scheduled to start my open water cert. on tuesday the 28th , but i saw the doc today because of my persistent ear infection due to my perforated eardrum .
now i see a ear nose and throat doc on monday , but what i want to no is , will a perforated eardrum stop me from starting my class next week or from scuba diving

my family doc does not have an answer for me , as he says the ear nose and throat doc would be able to answer that question and to stay out of the water until i see him

now i got the hole in the ear drum from a welding spark like 15 years ago , and have been told the only way to fix it is surgery

:depressed::depressed::depressed::depressed::depressed:

"will a perforated eardrum stop me from starting my class next week or from scuba diving"

No it may not stop you from starting it but it will probably prevent you from finishing it. Of course, this provided that you either lie on the medical questionnaire or your instructors will even let you start knowing that you have an uncorrected eardrum condition. The ENT Physician who looks into your ears will be the best judge of your limitations though, and rather than getting your hopes up or your sails deflated by us, just be patient and wait until Monday.

Personally, I would heed the family Physician's recommendation about abstaining from water until you get the go ahead. I had a ruptured eardrum, went to the ED and then to an ENT Physician, and by the time I was healed and let my ear heal properly, I was back in the water before I knew it. Scuba diving isn't going anywhere and engaging prematurely could damage your ear beyond repair for scuba diving activities.

Hi yesdear20003,
I'm sorry to hear that :(

A few months back I had a very bad ear infection, not sure if it was perforated but it was bleeding and the Dr did tell me to not dive until it was 100% better.

You should be able to reschedule your OW though...

Hope you get better soon,
Starlet

Hi yesdear20003,

I'm sure that news was depressing, but SCUBA is essentialy contraindicated given a perforated eardrum.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom