Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True ghost story...

When Chris Brown from England owned Silent World dive center in Key Largo, he and I were both teaching similar classes. He was teaching NAUI Triox and Advanced Wreck Penetration and I was teaching PSAI Advanced Nitrox and Advanced Wreck Penetration.

It was our last day of training, and my student and I were burned out from 12-hour days that began two weeks prior with cavern and cave training at the intro level. Our plan was to penetrate the engine room of the Spiegel Grove.

Once on the wreck, Milo, my student, didn't feel that motivated. Neither did I. When we woke up that morning, neither one of us wanted to go to school. I even called the president of PSAI to ask if we could use the last dive as a non-dive to teach the lesson "Anyone can call a dive at any time for any reason," even an instructor without punishing the student. Gary Taylor said he would consider it but to do our best to finish the final dive to meet standards. We decided to just take one step at a time to the point we managed to be gearing up on the boat. We felt better and decided to make it an interesting dive.

Milo pulled out his notes after he placed the primary tie and wrote he didn't want to go to the engine room. I suggested we just go to the bow and run line inside at 90 feet. We pulled the reel and headed to the bow.

Meanwhile, Chris and his student had reached the engine room which had also been their goal. When Chris saw an HID light heading their way, he thought, Here comes Trace and Milo, and decided to play a prank on us. They shut off their lights and waited in the dark. When a diver appeared, Chris pounced on him like a ghost.

The diver, a recreational diver with an HID Light Canon, screamed into his regulator in fright and proceeded to swim for the exit flutter kicking as fast as he could.

Back on board, Milo and I had surfaced first. Chris and his student soon returned and were laughing about the dive as they climbed the ladder. Chris related how they scared the life out of the recreational diver thinking he was us. "Oh, F---! I hope he made it," Chris said, laughing.

The boat captain looked puzzled.

"Yeah, but, where did he come from?" the captain asked. He went on to say that no other boats had been on the site. No dive boats. No private boats. Not even a dinghy. There hadn't been a single thing in the area or tied up to any mooring ball the whole time we had been on-site and underwater.

It seemed Chris scared a ghost.

Use your wing as a rebreather. Then go to the hospital for the worst bronchial infection of your life.
I think I need to take your course. I'm out of practice after 4 years.

Not another Open Water film please. Though it did make $55m.
This was a good movie, just not what the audience expects. We met this guy on Grand Bahama back in 2004. He said they never paid him for his role in Open Water.

Attachments

• 2920744310_b20dd5eab0_o.jpg
    2920744310_b20dd5eab0_o.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 70
You’re writing something, you say, and I sense your enthusiasm for cracking the technical aspects (non-Menduno definition) of diving but apparently only a cursory interest to become a diver.

Is this ‘something’ going to be a movie script with just enough showcasing to get us into the theater but replete with errors to make us cringe throughout and regret spending the money?

Rather than trying to learn the technical aspects (again, non-Menduno definition) of diving by wading through a forum and running a high risk of errors in your something, an option is to just focus your attention on engaging/hiring somebody with proven expertise to provide you more efficient drafting.

@Trace Malinowski above has already appeared. @Jim Lapenta is another name that comes to mind but there are others. I’d DM them for interest or referral to somebody that passes their sniff test who can help you.

It’s the internet. Using a fishing net approach across the forum increases your chances of getting a pedant, a frustrated troll looking for vindication or an instructor whose enthusiasm for a lifestyle exceeds their expertise in training.
Agreed on all counts, though I think I pretty earnestly expressed my dismay at the thought of misrepresenting your sport. I should say this research is for one specific, self-contained, short scene within a larger work that otherwise has little to do with diving.
If the fishing net approach, as you call it, is what it took to get these tasty breadcrumbs that you've now laid out for me, I'll live with that. Thank you for taking the time!

The best way of killing them at 30m is to give them an oxygen tank.

Oxygen is poisonous below 20ft and very poisonous at 100ft. They'll probably have a fit too. You can't taste oxygen from air, so the victim would suddenly start fitting.

For once you can say "is your oxygen tank full".

A speargun accident is the only equipment problem I can think of that might not have a solution other than prevention.

A ghost you say? Non fatal you say?

Well a deep(ish) rec dive at night or dusk.
Mess with my lights.
Give my bc dump valve a little twerk so no matter what I add sneaks right out.
Say your a bit over weighted, you try to ditch them but they're stuck
Add getting a bit narced, and you see things hear things and have work to get to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom