Perfect dive site - Questions:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Lessee now...
It has to be accessible enough that I can get to it.
Water.
One or more...
Cave, wreck, critters.
Buddy crazy about diving preferred.
Rick
Here I went and left out two very important things in the "one or more" list... one is "(potential) interesting stuff" and the other is "getting something done."
Visibility is nice but not essential.
Smedley & I are bad to dive the nearest mud puddle just to see what's in there.
Rick

1. Favourite type of diving? e.g. Wreck, Coral Reef, Quarry deep etc.

I find my favourite dive locations offer a range of dive types: walls+caves+wreaks+pelagics+muck+exploration etc. Diving coral gets boring after a week.

2. Number these least important to most important in choosing your dive site(number 1 being most important), 2, 3, 4 etc

- wildlife 2
- Water visibility 5
- Water temperature 5
- Reputation and organisation of operator (when using) 1
- Developed Tourist infrastructure (popularity of dive site) 5

and 'other special features: wreaks/caves etc' 1

3. How important to you is it the company or operatoor you choose to dive with tries to limit damage to the environment? (Please number):

2. Important

Cheers,
Rohan.

1. My favorite dive location is one where the water is deep enough to submerge. The tank gets heavy in air and tends to roll you if it is not submerged. Ricky and me carry dive equipment in our vehicles all the time lest we pass a pothole (called mud puddle in the South) in the road. The type of diving that we do is dependent on what is available. One of the Historcial Society bluehairs told us. "You can't possibly dive in a river where you can't see!" We told her, "We do it often Ma'am." She gestured and asked, "WHY!" We just said, "It's fun Ma'am." (Here in the South you have to put that Ma'am in whether the person deserves it or not. Either that or "Well bless your heart!") So I guess the answer to your question about the best dive site is - All of them.

2. Wildlife - It's great to look at and exciting to see things that you haven't seen before. One of life's great adventures is to experience "Shift Change" either dusk or dawn where the day eaters are trying to get that last meal and the night eaters are waking up and trying to get that first meal. Vice versa at dawn. Just sitting there watching the great bait balls being herded and shaped by the Spanish Mackeral is indeed an adventure. However, when I dive for fossils and stuff in the estuaries and rivers I like for the local fauna to stay far distant. We absoutely abhor having to kick a six-foot alligator's behind just at the moment we find a six-inch shark tooth. An occasional American Eel or large Catfish is fun though. As are the little Flounder and Shrimp or a school of Mullet.

Water Visibility - Moot, that's why I have fingers to feel with.

Water Temperature - Moot but probably just cold enough to properly chill the watermelon.

Reputation of the Operator - A compressor adequate for keeping tanks filled without having to wait. I hate waiting for tanks to fill when my money and vacation time are at stake. I won't return to a resort where the "Divemasters" teach a whole open water course in their dive briefings. You dive these sites every day. Show me some elusive marine life and leave the diving to me. All "Divemasters" in the Caribbean should be required to study with Murphy.

Developed Tourist Infrastructure - The fewer tourists and the more travelers are best. There is a difference you know. Actually the more remote and the more rustic the better. I wish politicians like those in Bonaire would realize that. They have enough hotels, they can't fill them because there are no airlines to get there. But they want to build more. The thing that travelers want is no traffic lights and lots of wonderful shoreline. Not another stinking hotel, use that money to keep your hospital open.

3. How important is the company's protection of the environment. I believe that if someone opens a business to attract others to come to an area they have the responsibility to initiate measures to protect the fragile environment. It takes a number of years to grow a good coral reef and seconds to destroy it. For a while, resorts taught free buoyancy control clinics. Those have mainly gone the way of more cash flow. I went to the Maldives seven years in a row and was broken hearted at the progressive damage to the reef by careless divers, construction that altered natural current flow, and sewage. On the other hand, I have been to Bonaire fifteen times in thirteen consecutive years and find that STINAPA has until now done a wonderful job and the diving gets better all the time. I fear that political pressure and quest for the cruise ship dollar is going to change that. The whole Caribbean could probably learn from Cozumel. When the last Mexican leaves San Miguel please take the flag.

Some of us like to dive in lakes that are primarily used for recreation, boating and jetski, just for the op to use the underwater metal detectors, for recovery of jewlery, and small treasures,...along with larger objects like boat engines,and an occasional firearm....vis is usually poor, temp is seasonal, and just the thought of wild life...usually the smoothe leg type ,lol, is all I need....lake diving is somewhat different, but just as exciting......don`t always get the perfect conditions I find in the Caribbean....

Guys, thank you for your quick replies comments and feedback. Keep em coming. i will try to reply to each individual comment at some pouint. I believe this is a very interesting topic to be discussed.

Back
Top Bottom