Perdix AI Stolen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saniflush

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Was not mine...well not exactly true. Originally was mine but had sold to my sister a year ago.

Stolen out of checked luggage at Miami international airport before the flight to Atlanta a couple of months ago.

I know, I know. She just realized it when I asked her to break it out for me to put a new screen protector on it. Longshot but thought I would put it here anyway in case someone bumped into it. (stranger things have happened)

Perdix AI
Serial number 3008EC7A

Mine that was stolen never turned up anywhere. I alerted Shearwater and they said they would flag the SN so if the "new owner" ever logged in with it, the red flag would go up. Nothing.

Mine that was stolen never turned up anywhere. I alerted Shearwater and they said they would flag the SN so if the "new owner" ever logged in with it, the red flag would go up. Nothing.
Thank you for the knowledge. I will alert Shearwater as well concerning this one.

Got me thinking though. Obviously , none of these manufacturers keep a clearing house of reported stolen computers. I wonder if it would serve any purpose to set one up ourselves so someone buying used gear could check? Just a thought.

Thank you for the knowledge. I will alert Shearwater as well concerning this one.

Got me thinking though. Obviously , none of these manufacturers keep a clearing house of reported stolen computers. I wonder if it would serve any purpose to set one up ourselves so someone buying used gear could check? Just a thought.

I wish it worked but it doesn't. I have been part of something like that in two other Hobbies. Amateur Radio and Drones. In both cases the companies we checked said they would look out for serial numbers but that they could not inform anybody if they found one and they also could not block the person from using the device. When questioned they said it would create legal issues and it is only if they got a warrant from the police that they can do anything like block or give out address info.

Setting up your own website is also a dead end as most of these thieves don't want the item for themselves but instead sell it on eBay. Once the new owner gets it there is very little chance that he/she would return something that they legitimately paid $750 for.
The most that would happen is that if they actually found your website and saw it was stolen they might resell the item so they are no longer in possession of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom