Perdix AI compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wyatt1225

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
People who have the Perdix/Perdix AI, how do you feel about the compass? Do you have another non-digital compass that you dive with?

People who have the Perdix/Perdix AI, how do you feel about the compass? Do you have another non-digital compass that you dive with?
I have another compass but i only use perdix so simple and one less piece of crap i have to take

As above, I find it works perfectly well no need for a traditional oil filled compass, just remember to calibrate it when you visit different parts of the world.

It's very fast and it supports digital marking (whenever I would love to have a feature to tag multiple directions, eventually 3...).

I have really enjoyed it. I still have an oil filled one tied into my analog gas gauge though. I don't see me ever not running that way. I like multiples of most everything. I just always assume that one of something is going to fail.

As above, I find it works perfectly well no need for a traditional oil filled compass, just remember to calibrate it when you visit different parts of the world.
Why? Did you calibrate your liquid filled compass?

Why? Did you calibrate your liquid filled compass?

calibration required to account for declination depending on where you are in the world. Magnetic north is a big rock in Canada somewhere vs actual north so if you go to the other side of the world the declination can be quite large. You can factor this in when you are looking at maps as it will be on there, but it's easier to calibrate it.

i have no issue with the digital compasses, they work well, but I hate wrist compasses. If I'm trying to get to a general direction, then the wrist compasses are great, but if I want to actually navigate somewhere I always use my nav slate

calibration required to account for declination depending on where you are in the world. Magnetic north is a big rock in Canada somewhere vs actual north so if you go to the other side of the world the declination can be quite large. You can factor this in when you are looking at maps as it will be on there, but it's easier to calibrate it.

Thanks, beat me to it!

I have owned and used the Petrel 2, Hollis TX-1, and Perdix AI, all with compasses. And I have played with a ScubaPro Galileo 2 on the surface, including messing around with its compass.

Of those, the Shearwater compass worked by far the best (for me).

That said, if I'm doing anything where I might actually make much use of my compass - i.e. more than just an occasional check for a general heading, I use a regular compass, bungee mounted to the back of my right hand.

2017-05-15 11.38.41.jpg 2017-05-15 11.38.49.jpg 2017-05-15 11.39.17.jpg

calibration required to account for declination depending on where you are in the world.

I don't think that is quite right. I think that it only calibrates the magnetometer chip and, if equipped, also with accelerometer or gyroscopic chips. I believe declination to be a totally separate issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom