People embarrassed to do pre dive buddy check?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, on a liveaboard off Catalina Island, a DM closed my valve and others when we suddenly got called to a dive briefing on the upper deck while setting up our gear.

If I am disturbed in my routine, I start my checks from the beginning and immediately discovered that my valve was closed. I asked who closed my valve and the DM apologized and said he thought he was opening it. People who were ready to jump started checking theirs, and everyone who had their valve fully open like mine had it closed by the DM while we were on the upper deck away from our gear. We all told off the DM and we told him not to adjust our gear without our permission.

I had DM's stealthily turn off my fully open valve as I was about to jump in several locales, but the 3-inhales while watching the gauge/computer or reaching back and checking my valve caught that.

The DM's who check valves as they appear to steady someone while holding their valve probably open a lot more valves than they close, but it certainly happens.
Same here, I make too many mistakes when distracted or things are out of order. People eagerly trying to do a buddy-check has been a frequent distracting that has caused me to screw up several times.

I'm happy to buddy-check someone else if asked. If people want to check me, I'll politely say it's unnecessary, but also ask them to wait until I'm ready to jump in the water. And of course hands-off; nobody touches my equipment.
If someone is so disinterested in basic safety to do basic pre-entry checks, and gear familiarization, I don't want to dive with them.
When I'm left alone to do my own checks, I've been 100% reliable so far. When I have a buddy eagerly trying to check my equipment for me, or look over my shoulder, it screws up my routine, things happen out of order, and I frequently make mistakes. So I will politely tell people to back off, as a matter for of my own safety.

Now, I'm usually fine with having a conversation, or double-checking something once I am completely 100.0% done with everything. I'm also always happy to check someone else's equipment. I also briefly go over air-sharing since my "rule" is the other person should always grab my backup-reg with a bright neon hose without asking, which is attached to my redundant supply or right-tank (with Sidemount).
When did buddy check become touching or meddling with other peoples gear??!! I thought it was always about asking for verbal confirmation while doing a visual inspection of each other’s gear configuration in a memorized sequence.
Agreed. I was surprised to see about a dozen replies to this thread where people are touching other-people's equipment. Asking to see, or asking someone to check their own equipment is one thing. Touching someone else's equipment is a blatant hazard, as many people here have pointed out.

I skipped the last few pages, but wait what? When did buddy check become touching or meddling with other peoples gear??!! I thought it was always about asking for verbal confirmation while doing a visual inspection of each other’s gear configuration in a memorized sequence.

Exactly ,the method we use involves only touching your own gear and checking your own regulators etc..
If there are new divers in the group there is a summary visual verification of everyones gear, unusual inflators, BCD, SPGs, octopus placement etc Quick question asking if there are any changes to their dive computers, unusual setting, GFs, deep stop, last stop etc...

If there are no new divers our buddy check is as follows. We call it the G.V.I. check ( Gas, Volume, Instrument)

1 : Everyone looks at their SPG, physical or AI and takes three breathes into their 1st stage, then does the same thing with their octopus. Ensuring that the needle/reading does not change...

2 : Everyone verifies that their BCD can be inflated/deflated..

3 : Everyone verifies their dive computer is switched on and is the appropriate mode..

3a : A quick bubble check around the 5m mark.

That's it, takes 2 minutes at most. I wouldn't want anyone breathing in my regs either, nor do I need anyone touching my gear just before the dive.

I just got back from a week diving in Little Cayman. The diving was "concierge" boat diving. The first day when we brought our gear down to the boat I explained to the crew that I did not want anyone to set up or touch my gear and that I would take my regulator setup off of the boat each day. They were reluctantly good with that. I also put on my own gear and walked to the back of the boat, put on my fins and jumped in, instead of sitting on the platform and having the crew bring my gear and setup to me there. Same getting out, I would remove and hold my fins, climb the ladder and walk back to my spot on the boat and then remove my gear and switch my own tanks, again, they were tolerant, but I could tell that it messed with their sequence.
I noticed throughout the week that only one or two people would occasionally do a pre dive check. Again, I would get funny looks because I, (and my dive partner), do a GUE-EDGE check every time I enter the water, whether it is a deep ocean dive or a pool dive, every dive the same way for 20 years.
So, on vacation with a polished Freedom Plate, long hose setup, two dive computers, pocketed 3 mm wetsuit, and "weird" ritualistic pre dive sequence I was "that guy", but that's just fine with me.
Being responsible for yourself and your own equipment means you will be less of a hazard to others.

Buddy check overrated. Good for students.

Problem is, if you want buddy check, just ask!!!! I never meet anyone who refused to help.

DAN publish Research about checklist, no one cares, because big problem so many don't know how to do a good buddy check. You will learn diving easy, so many here promote risk taking. I belive correct word is: EGO. It is more American to show others you don't need buddy check. Take a trip on good place,...you will be surprized that you have lots of eyes on you!!!! This very good thing, even if you not notice. There are places where people will look out for you,...this not that place.

I'll say this: When using Drager, buddy check take 25 minuits. And everyone, participates.

IT doesn’t happen often that I dive with people I don’t know, but why would I let a stranger touch my valves etc?
Thanks but I do my own checks since I trust myself more. 😅

If you are primarily a solo diver......like myself..... and my buddy is only me..... then a full pre-dive self buddy check is essential. I recently learned this lesson the hard way. Also, and equally important is to do a "post splash" underwater re-check of all systems to confirm that the pre-splash check was all in in order. Then just go have fun!

I really only dive sidemount anymore, so I'd rather be the only person with hands on my stuff (sounds like a good way for my left side tank that is connected to my BC to be shut off inadvertently by someone who doesn't have experience with opposing valves).

That said, I'd happily take, or do for someone else, any buddy check that someone wants. I'd like for people I dive with (namely AOW divers when not doing some kind of overhead diving) to be more familiar with my equipment setup on the off chance they are OOA or have some other issue.

IT doesn’t happen often that I dive with people I don’t know, but why would I let a stranger touch my valves etc?
Thanks but I do my own checks since I trust myself more. 😅

Does a buddy check require someone to touch your gear always? Anyway it's also so you know your buddies system such as do they use inserts weights and where are they or do they use a weight belt.

It is fairly customary for DMs or the deck person to turn the valve to ensure it is on at many dive resorts. They will often do it without your knowing. It is sort of like this, another diver no, that would bug me, but a DM or other hand who has turned probably a million valves, I do not frett it. I always take a few breaths looking at the spg just before I drop in.

I try to go with the flow unless it appears dangerous. Like taking my fins off in the water. But, just to say, some boats do not like divers gearing up and walking in fins unassisted because if you fall you can hurt yourself, another customer or the crew.

Concierge service, frankly, I am starting to enjoy it. Years of fussing over my gear, do not scratch that, do not touch this do not drop my whatever, blah, blah. Get over it (talking to myself). The only thing I carry on about now is me (getting scratched or hurt or my wife) and my da--- camera system I am still fussy over. I usually carry my own regulators but even there I have sort of given in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom