Pender Island! Whos coming with me!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hey every1!!!

Im new on this site, pretty good info i must say.....

I just realized that i have a cabin on Pender Island and it has much to offer in the diving department i never realized. Theres a bunch of us going up there on easter weekend and im planning on doing some exploration dives up there. Ive herd of and ive seen pics of a few places and am kind of unsure which
spots to pick. Since theres no air-fill places we hafta use our air wisely i dont want to waste it looking for a location.

Anyone interested?.....we can do a dive here in town first to get to know each others.

Thanks
Simon & Akiko
Vancouver, B.C.

yah i gave the marina a phone call, and they shut down....absolutley nothing anymore the lady said...i guess the buisness isnt steady enough, looks like im lugging the tanks over from the mainland!!!

Hey by the way how tuff is that cave at tilly point? do i need any special equipment? Is it easy, just swim through? Can u see the exit when you enter the cave? Besides that dive where do you think i should check out for dive #2?

Thanks
Simon

I guess the cavern could be really easy or tough depending on the diver's experience/personality and on the conditions that day. On a good day, when there's good visibility and no current, it's a nice, bright swim through. On a dark day with bad visibility and strong current, it could be a claustrophobic mess. It's pretty shallow and there are holes in the ceiling letting light through. You can't see the exit from the other end because the cavern goes around a corner, but, as mentioned, there are holes letting light through on top. From what I remember, these holes are too small to surface through. I'd bring a light in case it's dark. If you show up and decide not to go in the cavern, it's still a good dive outside with overhangs and lots of invertebrate life. Doing a second dive in the same area can be a problem because, unless you wait a few hours or hit it on a really good day, the current will be too strong. You could try somewhere on the North side of the island (away from Boundary pass) where the current is not as strong and on a different schedule.

I always considered the Tilly Point Caves a fairly easy dive, although as previously mentioned, the current can flow around the outside pretty strong if you're not paying attention to the tides.

I took some pictures and made a map a few years back and posted them on my web site.

For some other good dive from shore, try the public beach access areas all along the southern shore, past where the Tilly Point Access is. No caves, but great life.

Hi Simon,

Wow Pender Island sounds like a great place to explore. How I wish I could join in on that trip, but sorry to say that weekend isn't open for me. Can I take a raincheck on your offer? We do have to keep in touch though because I too am looking for some new diving buddies down here in the lower mainland.

Feel free to drop a PM anytime

Tatsubon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom