Pemba Island critters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I was going through some old pictures that I took from my Pemba Island, Africa trip. I found a few pictures with fish that I don't recognize. Wondering if anybody can identify them?
i found the complete lack of color and silver eyes intriguing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 134
I was going through some old pictures that I took from my Pemba Island, Africa trip. I found a few pictures with fish that I don't recognize. Wondering if anybody can identify them?
i found the complete lack of color and silver eyes intriguing.
Any thoughts about this one,yet?

Here's an torpedo,electric ray, from the Indo-Pacific. I did not take this picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 66
Your first photo is of some kind of sweetlips I think. The steep head profile is typical. Lack of colour is indicative of Diagramma pictum, the Painted Sweetlips, sometimes called Silver Sweetlips.
The second last photo of the red fish under the coral is a squirrelfish. Possibly Sargocentron diadema, the Crown Squirrelfish or it could be S. caudimaculatum, the Silverspot Squirrelfish. Of the two I favour the former due to the limited area of white on the rear body.
All this has to be somewhat speculative as closer views are necessary for more definite ID
Type the Latin names into Google and see what you find. www.Fishbase.us is a great source to try
Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom