Pelican Super Sabrelite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, it's certainly a good first light...and can be used as a backup later in life (say if you decide to advance your diving further...you'll get a can light, etc.)

I've never had a problem with mine...I did rip that goofy clip thingy and lanyard off of it though...

I have heard of people who have problems with them flooding, but I personally have never experienced it down to 100'...as I've never taken the pelican on a deeper dive than that.

I've never had a Pelican light that didn't flood. Of course, they give you a new one. That will flood also.

Princeton Tec is much better IMO.

MD

MD...how did I know you were going to sniff this thread out :D

MD does make a valid point that the P-tec 40 (I think) is also a good light. My buddy carries one of those, and he has never had any problems with his.

Do you think people are following you Big-t? Just around the corner? See them out the corner of your eye :D They are there :mean:

Actually, I think the PT Tec-400 is a better all around light than the 40. With 4c cells it works very well as a small primary for clear water, and a shallow primary for coldwater. Does not ride on a harness well though.
The Surge is also a nice light, albeit with some early problems that I think have been fixed. I like it much better for harness use.

MD

I have 2 of them that have 50 to 100 dives on each of them at depths to 100sw. Neither have flooded and both serve as my "in car" and general use lights when not diving. I have found them at local home improvement stores for around $20. They are not labeled as dive lights but they are obviously the same light.

...when I was on the fire dept. I've had mine in the high heat and down deep... and never a flood nor failure.

I took the clip off of mine and attached a bolt snap... carry it for a back up and as a loaner for folks who forget their light or batteries.

The Sabre is like all Pelicans a well designed and reliable light. But it's output is very low and it is only suited as a backup or daytime light.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Got a few this year. Great light and easily placed on a shoulder strap as a backup. I've actually used it as a primary light a few times this year when i forget my helios and havent minded it a bit. Certainly cheaper than the halcyon scout type lights out there and so far i havent really found a difference between the scout types and these except price. Almost all lights flood at some time but they're all easy to fix. Haven't flooded my pelicans yet. Given the chance again, i'd get these in place of the scouts for the value for what you pay for sure. I found that i seem to need less and less light so it doesnt usually bother me now to take a smaller light down with me.

steve

Back
Top Bottom