Pee valve update and observations!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow SBer's. Thanks to all who encouraged me to go the Pee valve route.
It has been a interesting but well worth the effort time of learning and experimentation.
I have found Rochester Medical to be very helpful with the external cath's. I like the wide band, seals very well no leaks.
I went with the Dive Rite balanced relief valve, with a sealed quick release between the line and cath.
Putting a hole in my Bare Trilam was not as hard as I thought. My two dive buddies and I miked the outer diameter of the treaded portion of the valve. My amigo MSDT Mark then made a punch from copper pipe, beveled the edge. I donned the suit and marked to location, ran a narrow board down the inside of my left leg, heated the punch very hot!, and burnt / cut the hole. It was perfect and fit the valve awesome.
The valve uses two rubber washers and a o-ring seal on the inner and outer surface.
After talking it over with several buddies I chose not to Aqua seal the washers.
They were correct there was not a need to do so, however I learned that finger tight and tight enough are two different things! A little trickle on a 30Žº day will help speed the learning curve.
The end result is no more worries and so much more pleasant dives! No more waiting at the ladder praying your DS zipper does not freeze!
To all that offered advice and help here on SB THANK YOU SO MUCH!
You have made my diving that much more awesome!
Cam G Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Thanks for the advice Cam - I just received my Diverite P-Valve, but am currently putting off making the hole. Looks like I'll have to work up my nerves and reach for the hole punch.

Why didn't you go with glueing on the washers?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Cam,

I have the exact set-up on my personal dry suit and love it. No doubt, it was the best money I've spent on a dive-related gadget.

I have found the Rochester Wide Bands to be right cath's for me as well. One of my dive partners uses them too and he found a seller on eBay that sells them in bulk quantities for over half the typical price. A few minutes searching should show you some cheaper options on the Wide Bands versus direct buying from Rochester.

Hope this helps and good to hear this set up it working for you.

Be Safe!

I also have the DR balanced p-valve. I did aquaseal the washers and I have never had a leak. I have never tried the rochester wide-band but i've heard great things about them. The regular medical supply brand ones have worked fine for me.

Greetings once again, Rohan the main reason for not aqua sealing the rubber washers was simply if properly tightened it should not leak. Now bear in mind this was dives 1 and 2 with the pee valve. I am not ruling out aqua sealing the washers in the future it was a trial / experimentation.
What I do know is not suffering from the painful urge to pee is worth all the trouble!
If you are like I was waiting, get on with it. You will not regret it.
More enjoyable dives is my goal and longer bottom times.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

What I do know is not suffering from the painful urge to pee is worth all the trouble!
If you are like I was waiting, get on with it. You will not regret it.
More enjoyable dives is my goal and longer bottom times.

Well, I've just ordered mine! Should arrive in a bit. I am a bit nervous about poking holes in my drysuit too, but everyone keeps saying it is worth all the trouble :)

To all that offered advice and help here on SB THANK YOU SO MUCH!

+1 for me, I got a lot of advice here too :)

Another reason to NOT aquaseal is if you want to plug the hole later on then your pretty screwed. I used a bit of silicone sealer and all works well.
BTW, there are a couple good threads on the deco stop about pee valves.

Wide bands are the way to go. Thanks for the e-bay info. I need to order a few before I run out.

I still don't know if I am sold on this just yet, but it does seem to be a great addition. Having made the dive that day with CamG I am glad I spent the money first on dry gloves as I don't think I need to elaborate any more as to what he was doing to keep his hands warm!!!! Nice work CamG:rofl3:

Greetings Mikeb663 and thank you for the kind words. I offered to warm your hands as well being a good buddy and all. I do not blame you for turning me down.
The even better end to the story is I am waiting for my dry gloves to get here from Colorado any day. Pee valve and dry gloves, truly diving bliss is ahead!
If any one is holding off, why put your self through the agony. If you are trying like I was to save $$$$ look on ebay, deco stop, Scuba Board, etc. I found a great deal on ebay thanks again to a good buddy, Mikeb663! Not trying to take away from the LDS but things are a little tight right now and used lightly will be fine for now.
Thanks to all and happy comfortable diving to all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom