Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailmike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I hope this is not in poor taste, but... I was wondering if anyone has had the privilege/honor to dive on the USS Arizona, and what the feeling was like? (The fact that it is somewhat of an naval graveyard makes it a sensitive topic.)

I was also wondering what type of memorial services are done in the state of Hawaii on this date? (I am completely ignorant of the subject)

Thanks,
Mike

p.s. I'm sure this could be answered on a google search, but I was hoping for more of a personal response.

Nobody can dive the Arizona. The only team allowed is the Mobile Dive Salvage Unit #1 stationed on Hickam AFB. They go down to check the status of the hull and tanks to ensure that their is not going to be a catastrophic failure that will release all the oil/fuel out of the ship. As of their last dive everything was good as far as that goes. If it ever got bad they would have to connect a special device they use to pull the rest of the oil out of the ship.

As far as memorial services. There are several around Pearl Harbor area. They currently have one going on all weekend called the "Healing Fields". It is a display at Richardson fields (near the entrance to the Memorial) of 2408 U.S. Flags. This is the number that died during the attacks. There are 150 additional Hawaiian flags in the display for the military members that have died in the GWOT from Hawaiian military bases.

I, personally, have been out to the memorial 3 times. I hardly make it through the movie that they play before you go out to the memorial. It is moving and very well done. I cannot honestly convey how I feel while I am the actual memorial. It you every have the chance, go there.

I hope this is not in poor taste.

I am fascinated by the number of visitors who have so much angst about the war we are in now and the men that are dying that they never ask one question, have one opinion, one feeling but want me to run them to the Arizona over and over like Disneyland.

hey, it's like a funeral and I don't find it something I want to keep repeating.

I am ready to move into the present world, no lack of respect to those who died there.

And Americans don't seem to have a problem diving everybody else's war dead,
DIR rock stars taking video, etc, and then there is the nonchalant attitude about digging up the ancient Hawaiians for shopping malls.

I see why people get touchy.

Had the opertunity to dive on it in 98 and again in 01, a friend lost his grandfather on it so brought a wreath down for him, lets just say it's not a welcoming feeling

laytah
steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom