Pearl Harbor Restricted Area -- Need some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcyber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It seems that no one I've talked to in the Navy knows the real deal when it comes to diving in the waters outside Pearl Harbor. It is agreed that many years ago a coast guard regulation was put in place to define the restricted area (from middle of Honolulu runway to end of Ewa firing range. Extending out 3 miles. This is what the harbor patrol says and the harbor master and harbor ops tell me.

This is where it gets confusing. The Harbor patrol, guys with the guns on the boats that are Navy, tell me I can dive if I have a permit and I call into Harbor control prior to doing so. Now that depends on the day and who is working. Harbor master and harbor ops tells me there is no diving, fishing, anchoring in the restricted area and the permit is only used to enter pearl harbor. When I talked to the Harbor Master I asked him for something that gives me the GPS coordinates of the restricted area, so I can reference. Of course no one can produce the coast guard regs with the original 1980 something rule (by the way the coast guard is suppose to patrol and secure the area outside the harbor, not the harbor patrol cops -- this is what the Harbor Master told me)

Anyway the Harbor master handed me the attached document. Later I read it and well it tells me the restricted are is 1500 yards around the channel going out the harbor and not the original 3 miles in earlier regulations. I still need to talk to this guy again and clarify. I also need to talk to the coast guard.

So, Jim from sea lancers says someone has a newer letter than mine. The one attached is 2003. I hope you can find it Jim. He also told me sea lancers had the same issues a while back but never reached a resolution with the Navy.

I tell ya being pulled over by the harbor cops is getting old especially when the guns come out. :)

So, I'm asking you all for some help. If you have any good information, hard facts, and/or documents please let me know.

I hope to figure this out so I and others can enjoy some of the great dive sites within the restricted area. For now, I'll call on channel 69 with my permit # and let them know I am going to anchor there and hopefully I do not get jacked up again.

Once I figure this out, I’ll let you all know the real deal.

Thanks
Dave (Bcyber)

Attachments

• Restricted Area Message.jpg
    Restricted Area Message.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 145
If you would like to see some pics of this area and the surrounding area go to my website: Sharpcast - Albums View

Look for Albums -- 10-13-2007 Sea Mount and Diner A -- 10-08-2007 Pinnacles (outside the restricted area) -- 08-13-2007 Horseshoe Reef and Shark's Rock -- 08-30-2007 Diner A and B

Dave,

When my zodiac was still working I dove the sites you mentioned regularly with JJ, Jim, Jay and Jo (from IDH)...(hmmm I need new dive buddies that have a name other then J*)

I have had the exact same issues. I know this is not what you are looking for, but really the bottom line is that it depends who is working on the patrol boat at any given day..and if they are bored they will come "play" with you.

I wouldn't push too hard, b/c we may all end up with something in writing in black and white that may even restrict our diving more. (Rumor has it that there is a dive operator that used to dive the Sea Mount, that was told that next time they see him there they would confiscate his boat).

PS: After patch #18, my boat is back in business.

/hijack

Jimbo and I just spend 2 hours tumbling it with $100 worth of fix-a-flat for zodiacs, it held air for 24 hours...so by some minor miracle and after close to 6 months rubber ducky is back muahaha. Now to make her pretty with new paint on rubber...

When I get her back in the water you'll get an invite Tom.

Yeah, I had worked with harbor patrol for a couple of months when I was stationed on Pearl. Pretty much the Harbor Patrol guys are being told a couple of different things when it came down to the "no dive" boundaries. Honestly it is a hit or miss thing... usually if it is a military guy they may cut you a little slack. If it is a civilian, you my have to bribe him with a lobster (if it's the local guy) to keep the peace.

I wouldn't push too hard, b/c we may all end up with something in writing in black and white that may even restrict our diving more.

good thinkin' You are getting to understand Hawaii. The way to deal in Hawaii, is do what you want, apologize later. Yea, they threatened Alex one day while I was aboard. (he doesn't have the gracious "yes, sir, I am sorry, sir" down yet.) Sea Mount, it's borderline, by a few yards I thought.

good thinkin' You are getting to understand Hawaii. The way to deal in Hawaii, is do what you want, apologize later. Yea, they threatened Alex one day while I was aboard. (he doesn't have the gracious "yes, sir, I am sorry, sir" down yet.) Sea Mount, it's borderline, by a few yards I thought.

Yes it is about .2 to .3 miles inside. Horseshoe Reef is borderline.

Thanks all for your commets. We'll keep it low key and stay away from Sea Mount ;-) Went out this past weekend to Horseshoe and Sharks Rock. Awesome dives with tons of life and coral, one eagle ray and a whitetip. Check out the pics here: Sharpcast - Image View

Shark's Rock is my favorite reef on the Island. The best part about it is there are no charters there!

Back
Top Bottom