PDC - Things for SO to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will be leaving for PDC 2nd week of Feb. and am looking for things for my SO to do while I dive. Any ideas?

Also, we will be there for 7 days and I will be diving 4 to 5 of them on the early two tank dive. So also looking for some of the "HAVE-TO-DO" things for the off diving days.

Thanks for any info.

Visit the archeological wonders at Tulum, Coba & possibly Chitchen Itza.

Check out the flora & fauna at Crococun near Puerto Morelos

Play a few rounds of golf.

Play at Xcaret or Xel Ha water/amusement parks.

Take the ferry over to Coz & go around to playa at the east side beaches & lunch at Mezcalito's or Coconuts. Have dinner in town at Pancho's Back Yard, La Cocay, Prima Pasta, Guido's or similar.

Go to Cancun to shop & party for the day.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Visit the archeological wonders at Tulum, Coba & possibly Chitchen Itza.

Check out the flora & fauna at Crococun near Puerto Morelos

Play a few rounds of golf.

Play at Xcaret or Xel Ha water/amusement parks.

Take the ferry over to Coz & go around to playa at the east side beaches & lunch at Mezcalito's or Coconuts. Have dinner in town at Pancho's Back Yard, La Cocay, Prima Pasta, Guido's or similar.

Go to Cancun to shop & party for the day.

Have fun.

DocVikingo
Thanks Doc, I think you just filled my week up.

I did want to do at least one of the ruins areas I have heard Chitchen was the one to see if you could only pick one. Would you agree with this?

We do have one day at Coz planned but that is going to be a partial dive day at least a two tank morning dive. Then do the town.

For diving I think we are using Tank Ha for morning two tank dives, we want to dive the Cenotes, a two tank at Coz and then possibly a night dive if we can fit it in.

Scott M:
Thanks Doc, I think you just filled my week up.

I did want to do at least one of the ruins areas I have heard Chitchen was the one to see if you could only pick one. Would you agree with this?

I've been to all three of them.

Chichen-Itza is the largest of the three and the most restored and "touristy"; It has one big pyramid, a ball field, and several other pretty big buildings. It is a 3-4 hour (each way) drive from PdC; go north almost to Cancun and turn left.

Tulum is not quite as big, or as restored, but it's a lot closer to PdC and sits on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean. The view from there is spectacular, though all the buildings are fairly small.

Coba is inland from Tulum and not very far; you can easily visit them both in one day from PdC. It is the least restored of the three and sits back in the rain forest. You go from site to site through "tunnels" through the jungle (the other two sites are mowed). It has the tallest pyramid on the Yucatan, on which you can climb up above the canopy.

I'd guess that if I could only see one, it might be Chichen-Itza, but you don't necessarily have to pick just one. You could see both Tulum and Coba in less time than it would take to see Chichen-Itza, and that's what I would pick. YMMV, of course.

Oh, and always hire a guide.

ggunn:
I've been to all three of them.

Chichen-Itza is the largest of the three and the most restored and "touristy"; It has one big pyramid, a ball field, and several other pretty big buildings. It is a 3-4 hour (each way) drive from PdC; go north almost to Cancun and turn left.

Tulum is not quite as big, or as restored, but it's a lot closer to PdC and sits on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean. The view from there is spectacular, though all the buildings are fairly small.

Coba is inland from Tulum and not very far; you can easily visit them both in one day from PdC. It is the least restored of the three and sits back in the rain forest. You go from site to site through "tunnels" through the jungle (the other two sites are mowed). It has the tallest pyramid on the Yucatan, on which you can climb up above the canopy.

I'd guess that if I could only see one, it might be Chichen-Itza, but you don't necessarily have to pick just one. You could see both Tulum and Coba in less time than it would take to see Chichen-Itza, and that's what I would pick. YMMV, of course.

Oh, and always hire a guide.
Thanks, With info like that we can make a more informed choice depending on what we are looking for on any given day.

I like Coba the best of these 3. Chichen Itza definitely is worth seeing, but it's heavily touristed, can get quite hot with shade at a premium, is a long drive from PDC & just seems to have lost some of its magic with all of the development. Like other great ruins that I have visited such as Macchu Piccu & Angkor Wat, it's really best very early in the morning before others have arrived.

You can see Tulum & Coba in a day, but only Tulum completely. I've been to Coba with a friend who is an amateur Mayanologist & believe me there's a lot more to it than the casual traveler appreciates.

Nice thing is, you'll enjoy yourself no matter which you chose.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
I like Coba the best of these 3. Chichen Itza definitely is worth seeing, but it's heavily touristed, can get quite hot with shade at a premium, is a long drive from PDC & just seems to have lost some of its magic with all of the development. Like other great ruins that I have visited such as Macchu Piccu & Angkor Wat, it's really best very early in the morning before others have arrived.

You can see Tulum & Coba in a day, but only Tulum completely. I've been to Coba with a friend who is an amateur Mayanologist & believe me there's a lot more to it than the casual traveler appreciates.

Nice thing is, you'll enjoy yourself no matter which you chose.

Best regards.

DocVikingo
Thanks again. We can not wait to get there. We have a had an extended cold streak here so anywhere warmer than freezing is going to be great. I was skiing las Sunday.............Wind chill at the top of the mountain was -85.

This will be my first Ocean dive and it looks like my first drift dive. Good thing I am going with two very experienced divers. One is a Dr. that has been diving since the mid 80's the other is a rescue diver that has been diving since the 60's. They get to baby sit. I guess the drinks will be on me.

You might want to check out Aktun Chen Eco Park. You'll tour 5 million year old caves w/ stalactite & stalagmite formations & a beautiful underground pool. (cenote) When I was there they also had various species of snakes & spiders, (in cages) deer and very friendly moneys. The monkeys even went into the womans bathroom & had a small group of ladies screaming. It's a nice little side trip.

Kat:
You might want to check out Aktun Chen Eco Park. You'll tour 5 million year old caves w/ stalactite & stalagmite formations & a beautiful underground pool. (cenote) When I was there they also had various species of snakes & spiders, (in cages) deer and very friendly moneys. The monkeys even went into the womans bathroom & had a small group of ladies screaming. It's a nice little side trip.
Thank you. That sounds cool. I'll check it out.

As mentioned above you will enjoy a day trip to Puerto Morelos, our sleepy Mexican village has beautiful white coral sand beaches and great snorkelling trips to the reef. Very calm here. We also have great diving - reef and wrecks here. You can do jungle trips with experienced English speaking guides to visit the inland forest and visit pristine cenotes where you will most likely be on your own. You can just laze around or go for a snorkel or dive. A variety of restaurants will look after your food requirements, the Crococun Zoo is a delightful small zoo for close up look at our crocs. It is a different pace here. It is a 20 minute bus trip on the first class bus from Playa del Carmen - 16 pesos. You get out and then get a taxi to the beach vilalge, Have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom