PCDC Storage bottle blows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I have heard plenty of stories of the AL 80's blowing, but your bank tanks? It's a very scary thought, especially when I look at where I fill in comparison to the banks.

Carolyn:shark2:

If a tank is "permanantly" installed and not readily transportable (ie: cannot be used in interstate commerce), the DOT regs for hydrostatic testing do not apply. Consequently, there are a lot of tanks out there in air banks that are seldom if ever hydro tested. I'd be interested in knowing the inspection history of the tank that failed and started the chain of events.

The good news with a steel tank rupture is it is usually just that - a rupture where the tank normally splits open rather than fragments. You get lots of suddenly expanding gas that can cause extensive damage but you get little or no fragmentation of the tank which normally occurs with an aluminum tank.

A loud thump!? We heard it at the Bay Point Marina and were pretty sure people died it was so loud! There is alot of question as to why the steel flask blew given that the burst disk was intact.... I'm just happy Joe, Mike and everyone else were fine. Google Earth puts the distance from their shop to my boat at 1.4 miles, and it was scary loud.
Just realized theres no such think as a loud thump. A thump is a feeling. But yeah, we felt the restauraunt shake. Pretty nuts. Imagine being in the shop. Tanks always scare me.

That is not true, any cylinder stamped with DOT is always required to be within hydro test when it is filled no matter what the use. Just because its tucked away in the corner forever does not exempt it.

In truth, hydro test requirements are every 5 years for cylinders used in a bank application. Unlike many cylinders that qualify for the star exemption and only need to be tested every 10 years. Bank cylinders do not qualify for star because they are not removed from the bank when they are filled.

Only cylinders that are not hydroed are some ASME type tanks, which this could have been. The news article quotes a 16 foot tank. Unless the tank was a 5K rated or higher tank I would not believe for a second it has not been overfilled more than a few times in its life time.

Right after we left the Panama City Dive Center shop yesterday afternoon (about 1530 CDT) a storage bottle blew. It ruptured another storage bottle so it ended up being a two bottle explosion.
One injury but not life threatening - a pretty good gash on a leg.
Pretty much blew the back end of the building off and damaged some other nearby buildings.
We are very lucky on this one!
Other shops in the area are filling and the boats are running...
I'll post more details when I have them.
Rick

Hey, Rick!

I'm glad you are okay and that no one else was seriously hurt. It is pretty remarkable everyone escaped major injuries.

Cheers!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads merged & moved here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom