PCB Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jholley309

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya!

Has anybody here done any shore dives in Panama City Beach? Most of the information I've been able to find about the area concentrates on the reefs, with a passing mention or two that you can dive from the beach at the state park. What I'm inteested to know is:

a) What's the bottom contour like? Long and shallow, or does it get reasonably deep (20-30') fairly rapidly?

b) What's there to see without swimming a mile and a half to the nearest reef?

c) What about gearing up? Is the parking lot close enough to gear up at the car, or do you need to have somebody on the beach watching your stuff while you're blowing bubbles?

Thanks!

jholley309:
Hiya!

Has anybody here done any shore dives in Panama City Beach? Most of the information I've been able to find about the area concentrates on the reefs, with a passing mention or two that you can dive from the beach at the state park. What I'm inteested to know is:

First off let me say welcome to the board. I've logged quite a few dives from the Jetties at St. Andrews State Park in PCB

jholley309:
a) What's the bottom contour like? Long and shallow, or does it get reasonably deep (20-30') fairly rapidly?
Most divers enter the water in what is refered to as the "kiddie pool". There are a line of boulders that make up the jetties; about half way down line of boulders you will see a "low" spot where the boulders allow one to cross over into the channel. Once over this spot the bottom is about 45'. The bottom slowly slopes southward to about a max. of 65' to 75'. I've been told that if you point your compas to a 90* heading you will come to the "channel" that is dregged and it goes down to around 80' but I haven't seen it.

jholley309:
b) What's there to see without swimming a mile and a half to the nearest reef?
Take a light with you and look inside the cracks of the big boulders. I've seen lots of things in there. Fish, crabs, shells and even the elusive Octopus. There is nothing to see other than sand and boulders. There is a small boat hull at around 65'. You will have better luck sticking to the smaller things in-between the rocks so again bring a light.

jholley309:
c) What about gearing up? Is the parking lot close enough to gear up at the car, or do you need to have somebody on the beach watching your stuff while you're blowing bubbles?

Thanks!
There is a large area beside the parking lot that has about 4 pavillions with about 4 or 6 picknick tables to gear up at. (They fill up quick at times too) I've never had anything stolen that I've had left on the tables but then again its just been my sandals and tshirt that I've left before. I would leave anything of value in your locked car before the dive. It is not a far walk from the suiting up tables to the water.
There are showers by the tables too.

Hope you have fun and do NOT dive during Low tide. Vis. is terrible and the pull out to sea will have you breathing up your tank. You need to time your dive during "slack high tide". Ask any dive shop in PCB what the tide schedule is for the day you are going to dive and they will tell you. Be sure to enter the water about and hour before high tide and you should be okay.

Jeremy

Welcome to ScubaBoard

Dunno when you're planning on diving, but I heard on the news this past weekend that there is a red tide in Panama City Beach that the moment. You may want to check with conditions locally whenever you go. Hopefully, its not serious and it won't last long.

Jetty dives can be alot of fun. Expect to see tropicals and other reef fish common to the northern gulf of mexico. Rays, turtles, squid, octopii can also be seen, keep a close eye and have fun :D

A good report by two good divers . . .

. . . and as JPS alluded to - be VERY, VERY aware of the tide! It can become VERY, VERY strong, VERY VERY quickly.

Oh, did I mention the tide???

the K

Kraken, Bugman, JK:

Thanks, guys! All good info, sounds like it's definitely worth a trip. Won't be this weekend; high tide is after dark. One thing at a time, I say; night dives will come later. :)

Oh, by the way, in my quest for tide information I came across a great link on the NOAA site that gives you (relatively) quick and easy access to coastal weather reports, tides, currents, etc. Here's the link: http://www.dive.noaa.gov/. It sure beats trying to navigate the NOAA maze normally! :)

Anybody have the NOAA Dive Manual? Is it worth $85, or should I just start spending that on crew packs instead? :)

Regards,

mike_s:
I'm in Panama City right now...

the water is down right "yuckY" because of the red tide....

so.... hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to the springs we go.

Ick! I was in Palm Bay for annual training with my company a couple of years ago when they had a big red tide just offshore. It made me miserable from the sinus irritation all week. I was never so happy to get back to the polluted Atlanta atmosphere in my life! :)

If it clears out by weekend after next, I'm thinking about making a trip down there. This is a spring weekend for sure; Lake Juliet is still more green than brown, but today's weather should get it good and murky for the weekend. Looks like Vortex for me!

Cheers!

If it clears out by weekend after next, I'm thinking about making a trip down there. This is a spring weekend for sure; Lake Juliet is still more green than brown, but today's weather should get it good and murky for the weekend. Looks like Vortex for me!

I'm actually located between Barnesville, GA and Griffin, GA so not too far from Macon, GA. I've dove many a dive at Lake Juliette (or however its spelled). I've had good days (over 10' vis) and bad ones (good to get 3' vis). The grass in that lake is something else.

Wanted to invite you out to Lake Lanier if you've never been. During the Winter it gets down right cold but it also gets very clear! I've dove it with over 20' vis. this past Jan. and Feb. Cold 'n' Clear!

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom