PC Naming of things

What would you name an area or post about handicapped divers?

• Handicapped SCUBA Divers

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Disabled SCUBA Divers

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Challenged Divers

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other name, suggestion in post below

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was recently asked what is the PC term for SCUBA Divers with a handicap? Handicapped - from the English tradition of evening up the odds on a horse race by having the best jockey hold his cap under his arm (inhibiting his use of the whip) during the horse race. Hence to be handicapped was to compete without being able to use of all you have, or to say you are the best, a compliment if you will.

So if you were going to name an area, website, forum, or item and want to easily identify that it is intended for SCUBA divers with a handicap what would you call it?
Handicapped SCUBA Divers
Disabled Divers
Physically Challenged Divers
?

Last edited:
Well, as you know, both:
Handicap Scuba Association
and
IAHD 10 year Anniversary
use the word handicap (or handicapped) followed by scuba or diver, which seems to lean toward your first choice of Handicapped Scuba Divers.

But as someone pointed out in another thread, this should be about divers who happen to have handicaps or disabilities (emphasis on diving, not the handicap). So I like the name of this forum in which you asked the question: Divers with Disabilities.

Save us from PC thought control.

"Challenged Divers" would refer to any diver who is pushing their own limits or who is involved in a contest of some type.

The PC police would be a lot more popular if they were more creative in their names.

I always like the suggestion of calling people "nutritional over-acheivers" instead of "fat", and referring to "superior cranial refraction" instead of "baldness".

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Hi there,
Some posts already have been deleted as Off topic
Please stay ON topic

when my nephew was born he was mongoloid, then we got a letter and he had downs syndrome, few years later another letter and he was a disabled person, a few more years and he was declared a person with a disability and then about 4yrs ago the government declared he was a person with ability :dramaqueen:

labels dont mean much to my family - but if they must exist i ask that its done with respect to the person

cheers and goodluck!

My famous neighbor turned it around: barrier free.
That's why I carry a "support diver" card from the Japan Barrier Free Diving Association.

I'd call 'em a "diver". Nothing else matters. :)

Edit: Oh, I re-read and see that you're looking to name an area. I like "Barrier Free Diving" for a name. Or "Divers with Disabilities", although I don't much care for the term "disability" or "disabled". Usually the term is used to marginalize and separate people from the mainstream crowd without regard to the particular skill sets they may have. I like specifically addressing the circumstance in question, be it Deaf, amputee, blind, et cetera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom