Paying via bank transfer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

tsodupe

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys!

Just have a question and want to get as many opinions on this as possible.

I'm looking to book a Liveaboard in raja ampat this January, and came across a very nice vessel called Kira Kira. I contacted through an agency (barefoot cruisers limited) who seem to have reputable reviews. I'm being asked to complete the deposit via bank transfer - is this common / safe?

It's common and safe provided you are 100% certain of the bank information of the recipient.. Once sent, it's gone. You have no recourse. You have no protection at all. You will also pay a wire transfer fee assessed by your bank.
In that case, is it more normal to ask to pay over credit card payment rather than bank transfer?

It's pretty common internationally, kinda freaked me out a bit the first time a smaller rental company on Bonaire wanted to be paid in this way. As long as your certain about the company you are dealing with it should not be a problem, you could consider doing a small transaction and verify it goes smoothly first. My bank gives me a dozen or so international transfers for free because I meet minimum balance and monthly deposit criteria. Look into this on your end it was a benefit I was largely unaware of due to not needing it.

In that case, is it more normal to ask to pay over credit card payment rather than bank transfer?
Some will accept this but assess an additional fee to cover the CC fees

It depends on the vendor. You have to weigh the advantages of a CC’s benefits (chargebacks, points and transactional security) vs the 3 or 4% fee you will have to pay. Many international operators just do not take CCs. Too expensive and difficult to implement. I’d be surprised if they took a card. I would ask and see what they say.

Once you wire money, it's gone forever. If you use a credit card, you have financial protections should an issue arise that you need to recover your funds. If a company doesn't accept credit cards, I'll not use them. There are too many companies out there that will take a credit card for payment. You may have to pay a fee of 3% or 4%, but I think of that as extra insurance on my money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom