Paya Bay or Coco view in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any comments about which operator to use? i will be there in mid Nov on a cruise with my wife.
We dove at CCV once before, and the diving was Excellent, but I got sick from the one meal I ate there, so that's one point off for CCV. I have yet to hear much about PB.

It's a tough one to get to CoCoView from a cruise ship for a day dive, but it can be done by competent travelers with a pre- arranged plan. Sorry to hear you got sick in the past, but pinning down as to where, when and why you got sick to one specific meal is a tall order. There were (past tense) apparent food borne problems widespread through Honduras and ALL Bay Islands Resorts- now attributed to a Departmentaly Approved Dairy Factory. CoCo View (and all other larger resorts and restaurants) have eliminated purchases from this facility, and since doing so, no incidents have been seen since August 24th.

That aside, you have some of the best diving and dive boats anywhere in the Caribbean right there at CCV. The shore dive alone is worth the trip, and the intact Prince Albert freighter lying in a mere 35' is 300' from shore. It's a playground! They tend to give cruise ship divers their own boat and pretty much an assigned DM.

Paya Bay is essentialy a non-starter in this regard. It is located another 35 minutes past CCV, and although it's on the single most beautiful piece of property on Roatan, it is a non functional entity. Until they realize that incoming guests or day trippers bring in their paychecks- Fuggedaboutit.

Other excellent options include the Waikula (sp?) Shark Dive, located a short cab ride East from the docks, Coxen Hole, just past the airport at Dixon Cove. They have rentals and a small 8 pax boat and will do a controlled shark rodeo/feed. If you ever wanted to see an arranged shark feed, if your current diving skills are at least average (can ho get it together to hold on to the anchor line?) and you've not seen a feed before, this might allow you to "get your ticket punched".

Or many people enjoy the "canned" dolphin experience at Anthony's Key Resort, about 25 mins ride away by cab. Most visitors come away with the same response- do the "snorkel"- it's cheaper and you get a lot more interaction. The nice thing about AKR is that it's right near the "West End" so you can get lunch and run into EVERYBODY else that got off the ship as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom