Paul's Shrimpboat and Whiskey Wreck 10-7-6 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got a bit of a late start this morning, left Underwater Works around 11AM after picking up some gear that was in for servicing and a couple fills. Patrick D was with me and we met Josh T at UWW. We had surf midweek but it layed down yesterday evening with the coldfront coming in. Northeast winds prevailed and we were hoping for optimal conditions.

Weather was great, it was cool with a north breeze, blue skies, perfect. Our group arrived in Fort Morgan and we geared up for our first dive. There was shin/ankle high surf and glassy seas past the break. The water was noticably clear from the beach, probably the clearest I've seen Fort Morgan since diving this site. We swam out on the surface and found the wreck without too much trouble, there is some seaweed onsite that covers most of the lower relief, but we still made the most out of the dive. Josh and Patrick brought polespears along for some flounder and both finished the dive happy with 5 & 7 fish respectively. I didn't intend to spear any, but couldn't help but take a 3+lber and another smaller fish sitting right next to the big one with Josh's polespear. There were several very legal mangroves and some blues that were probably legal as well. The site was covered in fish, schooling spades, scad, croaker, bluerunners, bluefish, mangroves, lookdowns, ect. There were a few small grouper onsite(nothing close to legal), damsels, white bellied sandfish, blennies, triggerfish(not legal), filefish, ect covering the wreck. Blue crabs still make their home here. We also spooked a large southern ray with a 4' foot wingspan. There were a few electric skates onsite too. Visibility was great for the area at 15-20' with water temps in the low 80sF. I got a bit cool after the 80 minute dive with a max depth of 17'.

We hit up Tequilla's(Mexican Resteraunt) in Gulf Shores afterwards and after a 2:08 surface interval, Patrick and I were back in the water(Josh went home after the first dive due to previous plans). This time we were diving the Whiskey Wreck. While we geared up, several divers were making their way out of water. Visibility was 10-15'. There was some seaweed onsite, but not enough to cover any of the divesite. The northend of the wreck seems to be washing out a bit, exposing a bit more wreckage. The southside and interior seem to be about the same. Spades, mangroves, bluefish, scad, seargant majors, schooled the wreck. Damsels, blennies, butterflies, lizardfish, robinfish, flounder(Gulf and Occelated), filefish, trigger, southern and electric rays could be found around the debrifield. Dive lasted 69 min with a max depth of 17'. No sign of jellyfish on either dive.

Couldn't ask for better conditions on the surface or underwater(well, maybe less seaweed on some of our sites). Another great day of diving :D

Good report. Sounds like you had two great dives. That pesky work sure gets in the way of things for me.

Mike

One of these days our schedules will open up again at the same time. Too bad its not this weekend though, water is great at the moment.

It’s amazing just what a few miles of water between sites would do. Saturday in the sound down towards Fort Pickens the Viz sucked it was three to five at best but even with this vis a small class of fifteen was able to stay together and work there skills. The second dive was much better just straight across gulf side viz was fifteen to twenty with no surf which set the minds of everyone involved on the next day finale dive we would hit Pensacola Beach.

Arriving there this morning we were faced with a five foot surf “damn” with several different shops there with classes all pushed there way through the surf. Some of us older divers had serious thoughts on this about putting new blood in this kind of situation but the instructor was in charge and made the call.Our class made it through the surf line in about a half an hour to about hundred yards off shore, Yep that long I’m still shaking my head over it. Several of the other classes attempted the task only to have to turn back with many mask and fins floating away.

I witnessed two DM trying to drag two students that looked like they couldn’t be no more than 13 years of age and 80'lbs at the most soaking wet thought these conditions only to lose most of the students gear

So Mat I would have welcomed your weekend with open arms, Have you any plans for shore diving this week? Chas was telling me the other day through email about some new fins coming out next month and said they were worth taking a look at did he give you any detail on them? I came close to buying me a set of atomic over at MBT but for $200.00 they didn’t impress me much heck I though the Tusa split fins looked better

Good report both of you. We tried to get out of Orange Beach this weekend on the Spearit but the waves and wind were kicking. Sometimes the beach route is better than the boat route. You are right about the weather, it was BEAUTIFUL.

tom wicker:
So Mat I would have welcomed your weekend with open arms, Have you any plans for shore diving this week? Chas was telling me the other day through email about some new fins coming out next month and said they were worth taking a look at did he give you any detail on them? I came close to buying me a set of atomic over at MBT but for $200.00 they didn’t impress me much heck I though the Tusa split fins looked better

I heard they redesigned the Twin Jets. I have a pair of the current model and love em, no idea what the new ones will be like.

5' surf today? We talking about the same Pensacola Beach? P'Cola surf report, reported waist high sets earlier, thigh-knee high later in the afternoon. I'll admit the surf looks bigger when you're in the water though... True 5' of surf is really kinda rare-ish for this area without a tropical system or unless its winter :D

Did you guys dive the jetties at Fort Pickens yesterday? I miss that dive...

The surf was there all right even most of the surfers gave up trying to paddle out. We were entering just 50 yards east of the pier and after the waves plus the rip the group ended up right beside the pier. The wind picked up pretty good there about 10am.

We never made it down to the jetties we stopped at the gates and dove both sides of the road
I thought the Atomic Finns were a let down in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing what Chas is teasing about. He also gave me some very nice prices on the 100cf tanks as much money as I've put out in the last week my wife is going to kill me LOL
Have you seen any deals on a light in any of the shops?

You can get the UK C8 LEDs at ScubaTech in Destin for ~$80, atleast last year. I haven't seen them in AL for that cheap by $20-30. Great lights and fantastic burn times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom