Paul Gauguin Cruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlassGuy808

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
has anyone been on one and do they offer scuba diving as one of their activities?
I’m thinking of going on the Tahiti cruise with a group of friends and can’t find any
information on their website about diving. I imagine each island will have dive companies
but was wondering if PG had their own Dive Staff since they are quite all inclusive.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I was on Paul Gauguin last year, and yes they have a really good onboard dive op. Diving is available at most ports, and they have a great setup on the ship. The back part of the ship lowers like a draw bridge and serves as the launch platform for their RIBs used for diving, launching kayaks, etc. You do not dive or snorkel off the back of the boat though. The crew will rinse and hang your gear and it is a real valet operation. At some ports, they use off-ship vendors, but that was a rarity. The dive op and staff are excellent on PG. Don't miss the Manta Dive at Bora Bora.

Last edited:
I was on Paul Gauguin last year, and yes they have a really good onboard dive op. Diving is available at most ports, and they have a grreat setup on the ship. The back part of the ship lowers like a draw bridge and serves as the launch platform for thei RIBs used for diving, launching kayaks, etc. You do not dive or snorkel off the back of the boat though. The crew will rinse and hang your gear and it is a real valet operation. At some ports, they use off-ship vendors, but that was a rarity. The dive op and staff are eccellent on PG. Don't miss the Manta Dive at Bora Bora.

How many dives per cruise can you do, assuming you want to do all that's available? How do passengers book the dives? On ship or before? Thanks. There's not much info on their website.

Some of the ports had opportunities to do a two tank dive in the morning and then again in the afternoon, sometimes a two tank, and sometimes a one tank dive. I usually did the morning dives, and then sometimes did the touristy stuff in the PM, especially on Moorea and Bora Bora, because we were there for two days each, and are beautiful islands to drive around. Our cruise did not go to Fakarava or Rangiora, which probably has the better dives, but I did not dislike any of our dives. We did the 11night Cook and Society Islands itinerary, and if you go to their website and pull up the itinerary, or any itinerary, you can see what shore excursions are available at each port. You will likely have questions about the diving specifics after reading the FAQ, and if you call the folks at Paul Gauguin, they can give you the email address and name of the Dive Director. I found his responses to be very timely and helpful. You will book all of your dives, and other shore excursions, using the ship's vendors directly on their website once you actually book the cruise, and making changes to your shore excursions was easy on the website as well. You can also book dives with off-ship vendors, but I did not see how the dives could have been improved, perhaps a bit cheaper, but for us, the convenience of diving from the ship and the care they gave my gear was worth every penny. As Ontwreckdiver stated, there is a dive section on the website, and you need to read that very thoroughly, and do what they tell you to do. We took our own gear, but the ship's dive gear was in excellent condition. If you are scheduled for a dive, your gear will be set up and waiting on the RIB. All you have to do is show up, don wetsuit, grab mask and fins and get in the RIB after the dive briefing.All the dive gear is secured in their dive operation area, and they take very good care of everything. Their tanks are set up for yoke rather than DIN. The cruise itself was outstanding, with excellent food (don't miss the moon fish if it is available on your cruise), comfortable cabins, and a wonderful crew. I would not hesitate to cruise on PG in the future.

Last edited:
Some of the ports had opportunities to do a two tank dive in the morning and then again in the afternoon, sometimes a two tank, and sometimes a one tank dive. I usually did the morning dives, and then sometimes did the touristy stuff in the PM, especially on Moorea and Bora Bora, because we were there for two days each, and are beautiful islands to drive around. Our cruise did not go to Fakarava or Rangiora, which probably has the better dives, but I did not dislike any of our dives. We did the 11night Cook and Society Islands itinerary, and if you go to their website and pull up the itinerary, or any itinerary, you can see what shore excursions are available at each port. You will likely have questions about the diving specifics after reading the FAQ, and if you call the folks at Paul Gauguin, they can give you the email address and name of the Dive Director. I found his responses to be very timely and helpful. You will book all of your dives, and other shore excursions, using the ship's vendors directly on their website once you actually book the cruise, and making changes to your shore excursions was easy on the website as well. You can also book dives with off-ship vendors, but I did not see how the dives could have been improved, perhaps a bit cheaper, but for us, the convenience of diving from the ship and the care they gave my gear was worth every penny. As Ontwreckdiver stated, there is a dive section on the website, and you need to read that very thoroughly, and do what they tell you to do. We took our own gear, but the ship's dive gear was in excellent condition. If you are scheduled for a dive, your gear will be set up and waiting on the RIB. All you have to do is show up, don wetsuit, grab mask and fins and get in the RIB after the dive briefing.All the dive gear is secured in their dive operation area, and they take very good care of everything. Their tanks are set up for yoke rather than DIN. The cruise itself was outstanding, with excellent food (don't miss the moon fish if it is available on your cruise), comfortable cabins, and a wonderful crew. I would not hesitate to cruise on PG in the future.

Thank you @Altamira , super helpful info! I’m so tempted it’s almost a done deal!

If you book the cruise, go ahead and book the excursions you want as early as possible. You can cancel later if you change your mind, but some excursions fill up faster than others. If you are late booking your cruise, contact the guys in the dive ops/marine department to make sure that slots are still available for the dives you want to do. We cancelled a couple of dives scheduled because my wife decided to do something else, and it was no problem. As the saying goes "Better to have and not need, than need and not have."

Wow! Sorry I’ve been busy with the Holidays. Thank you everyone! This cruise might just happen in February, I’ll keep you informed!
Aloha Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom