patulous eustachian tubes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my own case, I can open my tubes and keep them open as long as I want, but I can also close them and keep them closed, for as long as I want.
I got the habit, since I was a child, to keep them open for long times, because I actually like the auditory effect of earing my own voice through the tubes.

Right, but that's not patulous Eustachian tubes.

Hi @Ben Tetzner ,

Patulous eustachian tubes in and of themselves shouldn't present any risk with diving as long as you're consistently able to equalize your ears. You could be at higher theoretical risk of middle ear infection from water ingress but I don't know what the actual risk would be. The sounds created during diving could also become bothersome. May I ask what illness it was that brought this condition on? Also tagging @doctormike here, he is our resident ENT and may have more detailed information.

Best regards,
DDM
Yes, I got a bad case of flu and lost 50 lbs! When the weight returned my tubes no longer closed !

Yes, I got a bad case of flu and lost 50 lbs! When the weight returned my tubes no longer closed !
Thanks for circling back on this! That's interesting and something I've never heard of, but @doctormike might have. Maybe something to do with tissue distribution with rapid weight gain? Are you under a physician's care for anything else?

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom