Pattaya, Thailand - How (Really) are the Wreck Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atlas_shrugged

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm considering wreck dives out of Pattaya, Thailand on an upcoming dive vacation. It would be a side trip out of Bangkok. I expect to do the Coron Wrecks (Philippines) and Chuuk (Micronesia) at some points in the near future. I am wondering if it will be worthwhile to venture to Pattaya for the wreck dives in particular. I do plan several days in Koh Tao for typical
coral, microlife dives on this particular trip - so it wouldn't be for the sake of scuba diving...I am after wreck dives if the opportunity is worthwhile.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not a big wreck diver myself, but some of my divers are, so for background, I go to what I think is the most comprehensive information available on the web for Thailand wreck diving. Check out their listings for Pattaya wrecks: Wreck Listings

Now if you were looking for impressionistic input, well, everybody uses a different yardstick to measure whether a particular experience is "worthwhile", so I think that you may as well go dive the Pattaya wrecks and judge for yourself!

We do have a couple of wrecks here on Koh Tao too - as you are heading this way....

both are newish wrecks - the Sattakut went down last June but is still a fun dive ....you can see a quick video of it on the link below .....

[FONT=&quot]http://www.master-divers.com/blog/2011/09/28/diving-the-htms-sattakut-koh-tao-thailand/[/FONT]

We have another that has been there a little longer ....no video of this one but I an hoping to get some more up to date pictures in the next week - so I can update you later....

Master Divers |Koh Tao | Diving MV Trident

I love wrecks too - Coron was wicked - we loved it ...

Have fun !

Of the wrecks around the Pattaya area, the Harddeep off Samesarn is by far the best. Its actually the only diving I enjoy driving from Bangkok, I'm approaching 40 dives on the hardeep. You can learn more about it from my buddy's website Home . He has far too much free time on his hand and has fully 3d modeled the wreck. Its a WW2 wreck in 28meters of water on her side. She sits in a channel and currents can be quite strong. Divers not being able to find the line and being blown into the gulf of Thailand is not an uncommon event. The other wreck's in the area the Kram and and Kut, aren't particularly memorable dives. They are landing crafts, basically big barges that lay upright. Of the recreational depth wrecks in Thailand, imo Hardeep/Sutthadib is the best. Unfortunately, there's just nothing else in the area worth making an extended trip of. Myself, I just do day trips to Samesarn whenever I can.

I did my tec course w Ayesha in Koh Tao (excellant shop btw). There's far more variety of diving to be had both wreck and non wrecks at Koh Tao. There's also deeper wrecks for technical diving. Our course went to the Unicorn which was a great dive at 50 meters.

The wrecks are 'ok' dives, in particular the hard deep which has already been mentioned, also I like the Khram. The only downside is that both can have strong currents and local shops do not generally research the tides so you are put in at the dive site regardless of conditions. Both wrecks are small and generally visibility in the area not good.
As I said initially, they are 'ok' dives if you are in the area and want to get wet, but do not expect anything like you would see at the two locations you mentioned.
Personally I would skip Pattaya and go straight to Koh Tao, diving there is generally much better and cheaper than what you will experience in Pattaya, also (never dived them myself) now has some wreck diving available. There is a thread on this forum with photographs. Just do some research as to what operator you select or you could find yourself on a very crowded boat.

Can't comment on Pattaya, never been myself, but as you've stated yourself, you ARE going to Koh Tao anyway ...

We do have a couple of wrecks here on Koh Tao too - as you are heading this way....

Ayesha and the crew at Master Divers will look after you right - check out my thread about my (brief) diving experience with them.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/412306-wreck-specialty-master-divers-koh-tao.html
And enjoy Tao - there're some phenomenal sites to dive there, and the atmosphere in general is relaxing and hospitable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom