Pattaya dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just returned from two days of diving in Pattaya. I usually go to Phuket but didn't have the time this trip so tried out Pattaya. I knew Pattaya would not be ideal diving but it was even worse than expected!

Did two wrecks, the Hardeep and the Khram, and I think they are both pretty good wrecks, but the visibility was about 5m at BEST!! Really murky down at 88 feet (deepest for me on both dives) and fairly strong currents on the surface made for challenging dives. The dive shop only allowed AOW divers on these wrecks and I can see why, now.

I dove with Mermaid in Pattaya and they were OUTSTANDING in every way....staff, dive guides and divemasters, boat, hotel pickup, etc. I can't say enough good things about them. Really a good outfit. They apparently do a lot of training, including tech training, divemaster, etc; they say if you can dive in the Pattaya area you can dive anywhere due to frequent currents and low vis. Only thing they don't have is cold water!

I rented all my stuff, seemed like good equipment, Scubapro regs. I brought my own dive computer but think they had them for rent. Water tempts 81-82 F and I used a shorty 3mm...more than enough.

I understand the visibility is better some times of the year, but don't expect anything like Phuket or the Similans. The dive shop staff said sometimes vis on the wrecks can be 15-20 meters.

The dive boats were pretty big, could accomodate 20+ divers and only lightly loaded this time of year; that was nice.

I had a generally good time on the dives, had been a few months since diving so always good to get back underwater.....if you're going to Pattaya anyway, go ahead and try the diving, but I would not recommend Pattaya as a dive destination.

I agree on many accounts! I've been diving Pattaya for the last 2.5 years. Good vis is not unheard of but not the norm. It is excellent for training. I feel my students get real world as opposed to just holiday diving. If you are into wrecks at the non tech level this is place to go in Thailand.

Do keep mind this is not season to dive the Gulf side (late Oct. - May Andaman, June - Oct. Gulf of Siam). Current does tend be stronger and the water a bit rough this time of year. In July-September the conditions were very good. Comparing apples to apples should be taken into account.

If you are in BKK and can't get away for long period of time Pattaya is still worth the trip for a weekend in my opinion. The Hardeep is a fantastic wreck with a lot of nice coral as it was sunk over 60 years ago.

How did you like the food on Mermaid's? They are a good outfit. I will be diving with a group tomorrow so perhaps the conditions will turn around. :)

Arizona

I was at Koh Manwichia yesterday and we had 10-12m vis on the first dive. On the last dive we still had at least 8m vis. Current was very light. Not the Similans but nice dives all things considered.

Great trip report DiverDave. We have a customer currently diving with us who has spent a couple of months doing some courses and diving with Mermaids and he has only good things to say about the staff and how they operate. Although he enjoyed the diving there I must admit that he much prefers the diving around Phuket/Phi Phi/Similans by comparison.

Agree with everything about Mermaids. Very good operation. Also, have to agree about the poor vis. Dived the Hardeep, Khram and Kood. Saw a manta while diving the Khram. The food on their boats is good. Knew the diving wasn't going to be that good, but I wanted comfortable relaxed accomodations without some of the challenges (long ride to the boat in the morning) of diving in in Phuket.

Saw a manta while diving the Khram.

Sure about that? :)

I've seen them on occasion on the Hardeep.

I've seen them on occasion on the Hardeep.

Maybe you guys are confusing Taeniura meyeni (or some other rays) with Manta birostris..?

If there are mantas in Pattaya and/or Samaesan, diving there would be a hell of a lot more popular. :D

Good point, I meant blue spotted rays. I read Vie's post a bit too quickly. The point being is if you like diving and have a good eye exciting things can be seen.

i have to agree with arizona, take pattaya diving for what it is. we all know its not the similans but what you do get there is the chance to get in amongst some wrecks plus varying conditions for training which IMO which better prepares you for real world diving. it is also close to bangkok which suites a lot of people who dont live near the islands and gives them a chnace to get wet at weekends

personaly i dive with aquanauts when i am there and find there set up just fine although i have never been down with any other dive ops so cant compare.

Back
Top Bottom