Part 1 Ambergris Caye Belize How to ensure you pick the Right Place to Stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mverick:
I just got back from Belize. 2 weeks ago. And stayed at Costa Maya Reef Resort.

It's Remote. Six mile golfcart ride into town. The ferry closes at 10pm I think they said. So you have to come back before that. The Water Taxi's offer the 2am and 12pm last boat rides. Usually, the 2am boat ride isn't happening. If they don't want to wait till 2am. They just go home and you're stuck till the first boat at 7am. Island taxi was $10US each way.

Service at our hotel was Horrible. 35min to get a glass of iced tea for dinner. And I ordered a steak Rare. Came Well done. This was at Costa Maya. Fish was good. Other then that. I wouldn't recomend it. Oh, and Service everywhere was horrible. They don't have the mindset for service. Food took a long time to get. As did drinks. Not to mention, the orders were almost always wrong.

Good places we ate.

Porto Fino was very good. Still had a long wait. But food was really good.

Carimba's was really good. Long wait for dinner. Got stone crab and it was wonderfull. And had Chicken and Shrimp Fajita's. Really great too..

Last and Best was Mata Chica. You have to eat here. But call for reservations. It was awesome. The seafood for two was outstanding. And carmelized shrimp was to die for. But MAKE SURE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS ON THE WEEKENDS.... There service was also a lot better. But nothing like US.

I'd talked to people about Captain Morgans. They said Service was horrible there too. And food was just OK.

This is a third world country. People are living in shacks beside and behind the resorts that are no more then 4x8 sheets of plywood put together. I'm not exaggerating. So, if that would be a concern of yours. You now know. Also, most of the homes the people live in, in town, were made the same. But with some paint.

Diving. LOL...

Dove on the Reef north. It was nice. Lot of fish. Belize Accademy of Diving was great. Answered a lot of my questions. I had asked about diving with RB's... They said nobody really did it there. You'd have to charter a boat. I asked about diving the Blue Hole with one. They said nobody would let you do it off there boat. Dove with them on 2 dives. Dive master was great. Let me do my dive. He had already been deep earlier in the day. So just wanted to keep some eye contact with me. And took some other divers on guided tours. Fine with me...

Dove the Blue Hole. Amigos Del Mar Ummm.... What a waste of a dive. Saw a couple BIG grouper. Maybe 200lb.. One shark off in the distance. This is a GUIDED TOUR. WHICH I HATE. Got scolded by the dm twice for being 4 ft deeper then he was. But, I was at the same level he was when he went up to scold somebody else. Then turned around and scolded me. I'm paying $185 for this???? This was on a ledge at 160ft. And was completely safe. Having NO issues... The PARK FEE for diving the Blue Hole was $10. It's going up to $40..... That's in addition to the $185. The food on shore for lunch. Umm... I could have packed a better lunch myself. The next 2 dives were on the reef close to the park. Really pretty. But no more then guided tours again. Came out on all 3 dives with 1600psi or more. And had to come out. They won't let you swim around to explore. So, to me. I got robbed. Oh, when I got back on the boat. The Captain which was my DM asked if I had been drinking that night. I had not. Not when I deep dive. So, I told him no. And asked if he had the night before. He didn't like that. But, I didn't like his attitude. A couple people I dove with could tell. I wasn't impressed. Had 4 people ask me that. But, to be honest. They all seemed to like it. But, they also all hadn't dove in over a year and a half...

I had asked to dive Tenerufe reef. Belize Accademy of Diving said no trips. When I showed up to the boat. They said Blue hole boat on left. Tenerufe reef boat on the right. So, There mistake cost me going to Tenerufe. They did ask me after the Blue Hole if I wanted to go the next morning. But, After the Blue Hole. I didn't want to dive with them again. They had Blue Hole trips every day...

Now, if you aren't a competent diver. And like having DM's show you around everywhere. You'll enjoy it. If you've dove for years and like exploring on your own. You're going to get upset. Like I did. It was ridiculous....

And paying those prices for horrible service. Just ticks me off. The people working at the resorts don't understand what service is. Or even needs to be.

Did you stay on Amergris Caye? Not sure where Costa Maya Reef Resrot is? Have you heard anything about Ramon's Village and their Dive Op? Made a mental note of the good restaurants you mentioned, if they are on Ambergris Caye. Thanks

Taxes and fees are getting to be a problem in Central America. $25 or $30 to leave the country. Belize has a 9% sales tax on rooms, meals and diving. It is worse in Honduras where they get 16% now. $35 per day to dive Cocos Island off Costa Rica.

Amigos del Mar pays a 30% commission on that $185 Blue Hole trip. No discount that I know of if you book direct with them. Nearly every other excursion that goes back to the mainland is similarly overpriced.

Golf cart rentals are insanely expensive. I walk a lot when I am on AC, grab rides or break down and pay for a taxi now and then. That is why I try to stay within walking distance of town. It also helps keep the weight off.

By the way, Ramon's is really expensive for what you get, try some other places.

None the less, I love AC and find it to be reasonably priced when I am there. Its the friendliest place that I have ever been to go diving. Island time is fine with me. Like, where do I have to be next? Dinner may be slow, but they can usually manage to bring out a drink or beer pretty quick.

I made my pilgrimage to the Blue Hole once. It is similar to what the Japanese say about Mt. Fuji. You have not lived until you climb Fuji, but only a fool climbs Fuji twice.

Hey Leadweight

Thats the first I have heard that Amigos pays 30% Commisions WOW I send hundreds of divers with them and I certainly dont get anywhere near that in fact its not even 20% so I think your way off on that one but right on with taxes etc but then again if you are not from the U.S did you realize that U.S departure taxes are even more for example is $45 per person from Miami even more form LAX most U.S citizens dont realize that as its normally included in there ticket price but for us sometimes its not and thats the cost so Belize is cheap by comparison.

There is 9% sales tax but not on hotel rooms that is 9% hotel tax again when you compare to staying in a Hotel in the U.S the taxes are MORE in the U.S than here in Belize but I do agree its getting out of hand especially the new tax for divers of the Blue Hole THATS INSANE

Golf carts are expensive but look at the condition of the roads they drive on potholes everywhere etc so a golf cart has a very short lifespan on the island here what with the condition of the roads and the salt air that rots out the framing and all meatal parts in Supersonic speed. and the fact that renters treat them as everyone does and abuses them when driving them so the cost has to be high to be able to maintain them.

But when compared to other caribbean destinations I think Belize is not that expensive when you really look at it.

Dive Safe

Gaz

Gaz:
Hey Leadweight

Thats the first I have heard that Amigos pays 30% Commisions WOW I send hundreds of divers with them and I certainly dont get anywhere near that in fact its not even 20% so I think your way off on that one but right on with taxes etc but then again if you are not from the U.S did you realize that U.S departure taxes are even more for example is $45 per person from Miami even more form LAX most U.S citizens dont realize that as its normally included in there ticket price but for us sometimes its not and thats the cost so Belize is cheap by comparison.

There is 9% sales tax but not on hotel rooms that is 9% hotel tax again when you compare to staying in a Hotel in the U.S the taxes are MORE in the U.S than here in Belize but I do agree its getting out of hand especially the new tax for divers of the Blue Hole THATS INSANE

Golf carts are expensive but look at the condition of the roads they drive on potholes everywhere etc so a golf cart has a very short lifespan on the island here what with the condition of the roads and the salt air that rots out the framing and all meatal parts in Supersonic speed. and the fact that renters treat them as everyone does and abuses them when driving them so the cost has to be high to be able to maintain them.

But when compared to other caribbean destinations I think Belize is not that expensive when you really look at it.

Dive Safe

Gaz

I think you're the man to ask, Gaz. What do you thinik of Ramon's Village? Is the dive op there any good? Thanks

I can only advise what I have read on message boards over the years and Ramons tends to get mixed reviews both good and bad, in many instances it seems the prices are high from what peoples perception is however and I think the back cabanas get the most complaints since they are at the rear of the property adn get no breeze.

As far as the dive op I think they are just fine they have some good guides and nice boats I do however feel that better value can be obtained at other resorts in San Pedro with ref to the hotel.

Dive Safe

Gaz

Gaz:
I can only advise what I have read on message boards over the years and Ramons tends to get mixed reviews both good and bad, in many instances it seems the prices are high from what peoples perception is however and I think the back cabanas get the most complaints since they are at the rear of the property adn get no breeze.

As far as the dive op I think they are just fine they have some good guides and nice boats I do however feel that better value can be obtained at other resorts in San Pedro with ref to the hotel.

Dive Safe

Gaz

That sounds OK, good and bad reviews, which comes down to personal taste, since that is how most places are rated. I'll keep that bit of valuable info in mind about the back cabanas. I think they are all air conditioned though? Great to hear about the good dive op. Thanks for your help

leadweight:
Taxes and fees are getting to be a problem in Central America. $25 or $30 to leave the country. Belize has a 9% sales tax on rooms, meals and diving. It is worse in Honduras where they get 16% now. $35 per day to dive Cocos Island off Costa Rica.
I don't mind paying these fees. If reefs have a chance at survival, there has to be an incentive for host countries to protect them. I haven't been to Cocos yet, but when I get there, I'll gladly pay to keep fishermen from finning every shark within swimming distance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom