Part 1 Ambergris Caye Belize How to ensure you pick the Right Place to Stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Where to Stay on Ambergris Caye Belize

I arrived on Ambergris Caye as a backpacker more than 13 years ago,at that time San Pedro was a very small town with just 2 white sandy streets, I can still remember the first vision that is clearly embedded in my mind to this day.

As I stepped off that small ferry from neibouring Caye Caulker, I gazed down front street (san pedros main street), all I could see was a beautiful white sandy lined street with one single golf cart making its way leisurly down the street, it passed a young couple holding hands window shopping in the quaint multi coloured gift shops that lined the street.

At that time there were only about 6 dive shops spread out along San Pedros multiple docks, each one offering services to the few adventuresome divers that had already discovered this beautiful island also known as “la Isla Bonita”.

Most divers that visited stayed close to town at a few select hotels such as the Sunbreeze or Ramons, there were not that many to choose from. The same can be said with the dive shops, most people would be diving with Bottom Time Dive shop which was located at Sunbreeze Hotel, (today they are at Banyan Bay) the Paz familly were the boatmen and Divemasters, they were to later to go out on there own under the leadership of Changa and Melanie Paz to form what is today Amigos Del Mar one of the leading dive operations on Ambergris Caye.

Today 13+ years later, many things have changed on Ambergris Caye, the island is quickly developing into a small island mecca and today there are over 40 diveshops and hundreds and hundreds of different quality hotel rooms, that cater to the thousands of divers and visitors that visit Ambergris Caye each year.

The reason for this article is as an up to date information source for those that are considering a vacation to Ambergris Caye, it is meant to provide clear accurate information on the options of where to stay on the island when visiting Ambergris, based on the wide variety of hotel options that are now available on the island.

For the visiting diver today, they have a huge selection of Hotels to choose from, depending on what it is they are looking for in a dive vacation.
The island now offers different hotel choices. At the very top of the scale you can have your own Private Villa with your own Butler on call 24/7 to the still famous backpackers hotels that offer basic clean accomodations but at a fraction of the price of the more upscale hotels.
Each offers different experiences depending on what the visitor is looking for.

Ambergris Caye now has hotel choices on three parts of the island NORTHERN Hotels SOUTHERN hotels and Hotels located in San Pedro Town or within easy walking distance to SAN PEDRO TOWN.
Each offers a uniquly difference experience

San Pedro Town Hotels

San Pedro Town is the heart of the island and this is where the majority of Shops, Banks, Bars, Nightclubs are located sadly today you will no longer see the white sandy streets with just one Golf Cart what you will see however is a bustling medium size town with a variety of vehicles from the local Golf carts to cars and trucks going about there daily business, the streets are still lined with multi coloured gift shops, restaurants where you can shop and dine at a variety of venues.

Staying in town is for those that want to be in the center of things close to bars and multiple restaurants.,
Positives are,no need for transport other than your legs and everything you will need is no more than a short walk away.
Negatives can be noisy late at night from revellers heading back to there hotels or live music going on into the night that may disturb guests that have retired for the evening.
In the dry season it can be very hot and extremely dusty in town due to the traffic kicking up the dust as they go by, plans are however in place to pave the existing roads to eliminate this and the first part is completed from tropic air terminal to Island distributors heading south of town. The center of town now has plans in the near future to pave the streets also.

There is no real beach to lay out on during the day (besides ramons) if that’s your thing, in addition the multiple peddlers will continue to try and sell you local trinkets which is not too bad unless you want to be laying and not be disturbed every few minutes. However some Hotels have pools that you can sunbathe around but you will still be approached.

Some people love the interaction and that’s great however some people also may find it annoying, being informed you have the choice.
In addition with the advent of Timeshare San Pedro now has the dreaded OPC’s these are Outside personal contacts employed by the timeshare companys to get you to attend a presentation on the timeshare concept.
Over the past year there are now several timeshare resorts that now have these people on the streets constantly approching tourists to attend presentations.

All this can be considered either a negative or not such a negative again depending on what you want out of your vacation.

So to clarify, Staying in town is really for party animals that want to be in the thick of things and don’t mind the hustle and bustle of a growing town and the positive and negatives that go with that.

Some Hotels to consider in town are Sunbreeze Hotel, Mayan Princess,Paradise Villas to name a few.

North Ambergris Caye

North Ambergris caye is going through a huge development boom and this can be confirmed by the many projects under construction as you head north of the Cut.
North Ambergris is where the future of Ambergris Caye lies it is the only area that can still be developed and eventually there will be another town probably in the Basil Jones area, about 12.5 miles North of San pedro Town.

Over the past several years North Ambergris Caye has had a bunch of New hotels constructed such as the Hip and Chic Mata Chica Resort or Portofino resort that both caters to the rich tourists and then there is Playa Blanca Dive & Beach Club
which focus’s specifically on divers. Each of these resorts offers something different to the traveller however all offer Beaches where you can lay out without being disturbed in fact you may not see anyone pass in front of the resort.

The peaceful natural beauty of the area is pristine and most resorts are only a few minutes (10-15 by boat) away from the Hustle and bustle of San Pedro town.

Many questions have arose in the past as to the accessability of getting into town when you want to, this has been a valid question however development has taken care of that, now there is a regular scheduled Island Ferry Boat that operates between North Ambergris Caye (as far as Costa Maya Resort) and San Pedro Town.

This ferry operates throughout the day and into the evening with the first ferry into town at 7.50am, and every 2 hours from that point until 5 pm.
At 6pm the service starts hourly into town. The last scheduled ferry leaving town for North is at 10pm after that there are Ferrys at 12am and 2am for those that wish to stay in town to party.
The cost of the Ferry is between $5-$10 per person each way depending on which resort you are staying at. (Ferry Schedule changes occasionally check with your hotel for current schedule0

Some resorts such as Mata Chica Portofino Playa Blanca Dive & Beach Club offer there own water ferry service into town at set times, We at Playa Blanca Dive & Beach Club like to ensure our guests can get to town when they wish therefore we provide our own ferry service and will wait for you to complete whatever it is you are doing ie having dinner or partying at Ladies night etc our crew will bring you back to the resort on your own timing which is a nice service to have.
Due to the high cost of fuel nowdays there is a small charge of $5 per person each way (In San pedro 1 gallon of regular gas costs $9.00 bze plus the cost of oil to mix for 2 stroke engines )

Whichever way if you choose North you can get to town easily HOWEVER it can become tiresome and costly if you were really better suited to be staying in town.

You can now also rent Golf Carts as far North as Costa Maya and getting to town will take about 25-30 minutes on the cart depending on how many Bars you stop at along the way. Renting a cart opens up 6-8 restaurants that will be within acessability to any northern hotel you decide to stay at.

There are now SOLID plans by the San Pedro Town Board and the Chamber of Commerce to install a Bridge at the cut, these plans are real and it should be realized in the very near future. This will replace the little pull ferry that has serviced those that want to cross the cut to head north.

Part 2 to follow

www.DiveBelize.com

PART 2

Diving on the North side is very diverse and pristine, Diveshops in town very rarely head up that way during a weeks diving maybe one day they will head up North however some of the best diving on the island is located North of San Pedro Town, one such site is M&M’s which is considerd one of the best dives on the island and a favorite of visiting divers.

There are only 3 dive operators North that have diveshops located onsite, Gaz Cooper’s located at Playa Blanca Dive & Beach Club, Belize Ocean Divers Located at Journeys End Resort, Belize Academy of Diving located out of Costa Maya Resort, most of the other resorts North either use one of these three operators and some that are closer to town such as Captain Morgans have affliations with shops in town.

Some operators in town will come up North to pick you up for diving but normally they require there to be more than 2 divers check with your favorite diveshop for confirmation of that.

Staying North is for those that want to be away from the Hustle and Bustle but be close enough to get into town when they wish if your looking for a peaceful vacation with relaxation natural beauty, remote setting and diving sites less dove then North Ambergris could be for you.

A Resort located North should not be the choice of those that want to party every night or that want to go to town every day if that’s the case then choose to stay in town or on the outskirts

Southern Ambergris Caye

South Ambergris has a multitude of hotels and they are located south of San Pedro Town and acessable either via road or by boat. Getting to town is either via a Taxi cab or you can rent a Gold cart for the week but be prepared Golf Cart rentals can be expensive even more than rental cars, a daily rental of a gold cart can be $60 U.S + in addition during peak time ie christmas Thanksgiving etc prebooking a golf cart rental is advised.
However there is no better way to see the island than by a Golf Cart and its highly reccomended you rent one at least for a day to see the sights. ( Drivers License is required)

There are several nice hotels located on the South side of the island such as Banana Beach or Banyan Bay each of these are excellent condo hotels and diving can be arranged either thru the onsite diveshop at Banyan Bay which is Bottom Time DiveShop or any of the other dive shops will pick up at most of the southerly hotels.

South has easy access to town via taxi cab (About $7.50 each way for the Cab) or Golf cart but is developed with regular traffic back and forth to town you can lay out on the beach South of Town in fact Banyan Bay has one of the nicest beaches on the island its called Mar De Tumbo and a favorite of the locals that flood there over the wekends.

South is a choice that is not as busy as town but not too quiet either its close enough to town to get back and forth independantly and at the same time offers a variety of restaurants within easy walking distance.

An excellent source for additional hotel Information on Ambergris Caye is www.AmbergrisCaye.com this covers all hotels on the island and seperates Hotels by North South and hotels close to town and hotels in town.
For great discount offers for local bars restaurants etc also check out www.AmbergrisCayeDiscounts.com

I hope this short Article helps you make the right accomodation choice and the most out of your trip to Ambergris Caye and Belize.

Dive Safe

Gaz Cooper
Playa Blanca Dive & Beach Club

I will let others comment on this one there is enough well travelled members here that can answer your question

all the best

Divesafe

Gaz

Gaz-

Thanks for the unbiased and informative summary on Ambergris lodging. Its another highpoint for ScubaBoard, especially when it comes from an owner/operator like yourself. My wife and I spent 10 days in early march on the island. Dove with Protech and stayed at the Sunbreeze. We had a great time, but I hope our next trip also incorporates a stay at your "North End". Thanks again, Ken :42:

PS: Your info on the Blue Hole helped us to make the decision to go. Loved it.

I just got back from Belize. 2 weeks ago. And stayed at Costa Maya Reef Resort.

It's Remote. Six mile golfcart ride into town. The ferry closes at 10pm I think they said. So you have to come back before that. The Water Taxi's offer the 2am and 12pm last boat rides. Usually, the 2am boat ride isn't happening. If they don't want to wait till 2am. They just go home and you're stuck till the first boat at 7am. Island taxi was $10US each way.

Service at our hotel was Horrible. 35min to get a glass of iced tea for dinner. And I ordered a steak Rare. Came Well done. This was at Costa Maya. Fish was good. Other then that. I wouldn't recomend it. Oh, and Service everywhere was horrible. They don't have the mindset for service. Food took a long time to get. As did drinks. Not to mention, the orders were almost always wrong.

Good places we ate.

Porto Fino was very good. Still had a long wait. But food was really good.

Carimba's was really good. Long wait for dinner. Got stone crab and it was wonderfull. And had Chicken and Shrimp Fajita's. Really great too..

Last and Best was Mata Chica. You have to eat here. But call for reservations. It was awesome. The seafood for two was outstanding. And carmelized shrimp was to die for. But MAKE SURE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS ON THE WEEKENDS.... There service was also a lot better. But nothing like US.

I'd talked to people about Captain Morgans. They said Service was horrible there too. And food was just OK.

This is a third world country. People are living in shacks beside and behind the resorts that are no more then 4x8 sheets of plywood put together. I'm not exaggerating. So, if that would be a concern of yours. You now know. Also, most of the homes the people live in, in town, were made the same. But with some paint.

Diving. LOL...

Dove on the Reef north. It was nice. Lot of fish. Belize Accademy of Diving was great. Answered a lot of my questions. I had asked about diving with RB's... They said nobody really did it there. You'd have to charter a boat. I asked about diving the Blue Hole with one. They said nobody would let you do it off there boat. Dove with them on 2 dives. Dive master was great. Let me do my dive. He had already been deep earlier in the day. So just wanted to keep some eye contact with me. And took some other divers on guided tours. Fine with me...

Dove the Blue Hole. Amigos Del Mar Ummm.... What a waste of a dive. Saw a couple BIG grouper. Maybe 200lb.. One shark off in the distance. This is a GUIDED TOUR. WHICH I HATE. Got scolded by the dm twice for being 4 ft deeper then he was. But, I was at the same level he was when he went up to scold somebody else. Then turned around and scolded me. I'm paying $185 for this???? This was on a ledge at 160ft. And was completely safe. Having NO issues... The PARK FEE for diving the Blue Hole was $10. It's going up to $40..... That's in addition to the $185. The food on shore for lunch. Umm... I could have packed a better lunch myself. The next 2 dives were on the reef close to the park. Really pretty. But no more then guided tours again. Came out on all 3 dives with 1600psi or more. And had to come out. They won't let you swim around to explore. So, to me. I got robbed. Oh, when I got back on the boat. The Captain which was my DM asked if I had been drinking that night. I had not. Not when I deep dive. So, I told him no. And asked if he had the night before. He didn't like that. But, I didn't like his attitude. A couple people I dove with could tell. I wasn't impressed. Had 4 people ask me that. But, to be honest. They all seemed to like it. But, they also all hadn't dove in over a year and a half...

I had asked to dive Tenerufe reef. Belize Accademy of Diving said no trips. When I showed up to the boat. They said Blue hole boat on left. Tenerufe reef boat on the right. So, There mistake cost me going to Tenerufe. They did ask me after the Blue Hole if I wanted to go the next morning. But, After the Blue Hole. I didn't want to dive with them again. They had Blue Hole trips every day...

Now, if you aren't a competent diver. And like having DM's show you around everywhere. You'll enjoy it. If you've dove for years and like exploring on your own. You're going to get upset. Like I did. It was ridiculous....

And paying those prices for horrible service. Just ticks me off. The people working at the resorts don't understand what service is. Or even needs to be.

I have to agree with Gaz, for South of town Banana Beach is hard to beat. I have stayed there two times and are getting ready for a third. Last summer it was for a month, and I am looking to repeat that this summer.

mverick

Belize is not for everyone and seems especially not for you as you mentioned most other people liked the Blue Hole as is always the case, if you read my Blue Hole article (all those that are reading this) you will see clearly that comments like Mvericks about the Blue Hole should be taken lightly and there is a reason for his view on that trip.

With regards to service you are in the islands with a laid back attitude and no concept of time and most people expect it to take longer to get your food your choice of accomodations may have been part of your problems.

BELIZE is COOL PLACE but certainly a developing country that is imporving year after year but its not for everyone as this post shows

Dive Safe

Gaz

Back
Top Bottom