Paralenz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question for Paralenz owners: is the internal battery ever a problem? My GoPro must get accidentally switched on in my gear bag, because even though I put in a fresh battery after every use, half the time I pull it out, it's dead. One battery also doesn't last through a full day on a 3-tank boat, so I always bring spares. It occurs to me I couldn't do that with a Paralenz.
I had them replace my battery once. They provided a shipping label and it was back to me within a week. New battery, cleaned up, new o rings and another case. I suggest bringing a waterproof battery bank along if you plan on more than two dive. The capacity just isn't there for the old version.

Customer service is solid if you use their Facebook support group and website ticket system. I like the camera but the color correction still isn't quite there either, again, at least not on the old version. It's better than GoPro, but still requires some post edit color adjusting. Mostly contrast and a little white balance.

Here's an example. My video editing software on this video was having a little trouble so the color kept flashing from pre to post edit and I lost patience to fix it. Gives a good idea of what I'm talking about in terms of could be better.

The new camera may be better.

Question for Paralenz owners: is the internal battery ever a problem? My GoPro must get accidentally switched on in my gear bag, because even though I put in a fresh battery after every use, half the time I pull it out, it's dead. One battery also doesn't last through a full day on a 3-tank boat, so I always bring spares. It occurs to me I couldn't do that with a Paralenz.

When I first got the Paralenz I tested it on the dashboard of my car on a long journey. 4 hours of 1080p motorway video. So plenty of stamina.

It turns itself off after ~20 mins of inactivity.

I dive with mine mounted on my umbilical primary torch Goodman handle. If I am going for a video session, as opposed to "snapshots", I'll mount it on a tray and use a couple of video torches (actually my primary + another primary but with a self-contained battery).

All my videos aren't great, but that's because I enjoy diving and have come to the conclusion I'm a rubbish videographer with no interest in editing!

Anyway, my Paralenz has lasted two years, which is about 18 months longer than any other aquatic camera -- all others have flooded. In that two years it's done about 200 dives with a large proportion of them below 40m/130', max depth 75m/230'. The only problem was the twisty switch thing which jammed and needed to have the magnet switch thing replaced (it's in the Paralenz spares kit). I now ensure a periodic service of the ring if it gets stiff (very easy to do, remove the O-rings, slide off, clean, grease, slide back on, put O-rings back).

In summary, tough, reliable, reasonably well thought through.

Annoyance: you can't feel where the switch ring is set. As I mount it on my torch, I can't see what it's set to (my diving's in dark, green water). If only they had some 'lump' on the ring. Maybe I should mark it with tip-ex or paint. The buzzer isn't really felt under drygloves. I've never mounted it on a helmet, but I'd imagine it would be extremely frustrating unless you left it filming for the whole dive (what a boring video that would be!).

The DCC (depth colour correction) isn't much use in dark or deep water. Have never used it in blue water.

paralenz has a niche if you need more depth rating than provided by the standard gopro dive housing as they end up cheaper than a gopro black + aluminum/delrin tech housing. issue is the vast majority of divers are fine with a 60m/200ft depth limit. the newer vaquita has a bigger sensor than the gopro, but a jump to 2/3" would have been more significant.

My floods...

1. GoPro 3. As there's a limited battery life, have to keep the battery out until required for the dive. Didn't close the housing properly... (my fault, but killed the camera).
2. MuVi GoPro clone. Comes with a "100m" housing. Was doing a simple 57m dive (that's way under 100m). Took some video at the bottom, all OK. Decided to do some selfies during the long 6m deco to discover water in the housing. Amazon did replace the camera & housing when I showed the logs.
3. Sold the replacement MuVi to a friend as I'd lost confidence in it. He flooded it at 45m.

Have often considered a decent GoPro housing which will work when deeper. There's a few proper housings in the $500+ range.

More than two years of heartache spent half it's time broken in a drawer
been back three times, came back last time still broken with a loose lens

Still haven't received the floatation device, It's not in stock no refund yet

You're excited, you go for a dive, you think you've got footage, get back

NOTHING

It impedes your dive psyche, the new one “they” suggest is much better
which means "they" know the original is crap

Sometimes on charge it gets really really hot

And then there's "this one" she graciously sent me a new aluminium cap

full.jpg

Adrianna Dudek (Paralenz) Sep 13, 14:20 EEST Hello Happy, Our technician replaced the cap for the aluminum one, as the plastic one has a risk of breaking. We're sorry it does not align, however it has no impact on the performance of the camera. Kind regards, Adrianna Dudek

a thousand dollars for a twisted device that works intermittently

**** ** them!

the gopro clone housings are for 100ft/30m, not 100m
The MuVi ones are supposedly 100m and they make a thing of that in the packaging. The other cheapo Chinese knock-off gOpRO copies are generally rubbish, which is what one would expect for ten dollar. Had one of those and found it wouldn't work deeper than 20m (the buttons stick!).

@happy-diver - that's a bit naff. The thread's quite coarse and the seal's done with the two (three?) O-rings. Looks as if there's something stopping it from closing fully for that last 10 degrees.

They are expensive though.

got a link? the ones i saw on stuntcams and amazon said 30m

Really interesting; they appear to have stopped selling it.

This is from my account when I bought the replacement case:

Veho_VCC-A035-WPC_MUVI_K-Series_Handsfree_Camera__Amazon_co_uk__Camera___Photo.jpg

it doesn't have the design of a 100m housing. aluminum or delrin and they cost way more.

it doesn't have the design of a 100m housing. aluminum or delrin and they cost way more.
Agreed! It's a little more sturdy than a 40m/130' or 60m/200' standard case. Almost certain the O-rings on the buttons failed.

The serious cases -- Cabonarm for example -- are far stronger, but that's said to be rated to 250m/800'!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom