Papua New Guinea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What does a divemaster do on his day off? He dreams about diving! I'm a DM at Little Cayman Beach Resort, spending my day off dreaming about a exotic new places to dive. Everything I hear is tells me that the very most exotic diving in the world is off the shores of PNG. I've searched this site looking for reports of diving facilities there, but can't find anything. I think I picked up a few brochures on PNG at DEMA last October, but sent them all back to CA with my wife a couple of weeks ago. So I wonder if anybody browsing this site has any experience diving PNG? Any recommendations on where to go, where to stay, places to see? Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce

zf2nt:
What does a divemaster do on his day off? He dreams about diving! I'm a DM at Little Cayman Beach Resort, spending my day off dreaming about a exotic new places to dive. Everything I hear is tells me that the very most exotic diving in the world is off the shores of PNG. I've searched this site looking for reports of diving facilities there, but can't find anything. I think I picked up a few brochures on PNG at DEMA last October, but sent them all back to CA with my wife a couple of weeks ago. So I wonder if anybody browsing this site has any experience diving PNG? Any recommendations on where to go, where to stay, places to see? Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce

There's actually many, many posts on PNG on this site. The problem is you can't search "png" because it is too short a character string. Try "papua", "guinea" or some specific dive locations or liveaboards. To get a good overview of PNG, Diversion's website, www.diversionoz.com, is great and they are also excellent travel agents with extensive personal knowledge of both the diving and the resorts and liveaboards in PNG.

Last year, my family did a ten day trip on the Golden Dawn from Wewak to Madang. Great diving, wonderful fields of hard coral, WWII wrecks covered in soft and hard corals, and lots of life generally. This particular trip is not a macro itinerary and we had the bad luck to run into some strange current patterns that reduced the usual number of pelagics seen on this trip. Nevertheless, I would highly recommend the Golden Dawn and will travel again with them some day. If you decide to go with them, try for the Manus to Wewak trip.

Do a web search on Walindi Plantation on the Island of New Britain (PNG).
I did have a couple of reports on our trip there but they are no longer on the board ???.

Hi! I was on the Paradise Sport doing Milne Bay in October 2004. Diversity & amount of sea life and corals was beyond description. Unbelievably healthy and untouched. Did not see another dive boat the whole week. For reference, I've been to Australia, Palau, Yap and almost every Carribean island.

Also, the cultural experience was amazing. It's one of those life changing type trips that you will never forget.

The only thing that sucks... getting there. But, sooo worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom