Panic for no reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not being a physician and barring any serious medical issues I'd be looking at lack of sleep and the booze as helping to make you more susceptible to narcosis. And in these instances a type of "dark narc".

That feeling of impending doom that seems to be called for at the time but you know to be irrational. Or maybe it's not. Your body and ming telling you - "welcome to the downhill side of life!" 40 is when more than a few things began to advise me to slow down and be a bit more careful in some areas. But don't worry. Those areas only increase as you get older!

Lorenzoid, very helpful post thanks. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Not being a physician and barring any serious medical issues I'd be looking at lack of sleep and the booze as helping to make you more susceptible to narcosis. And in these instances a type of "dark narc".

That feeling of impending doom that seems to be called for at the time but you know to be irrational. Or maybe it's not. Your body and ming telling you - "welcome to the downhill side of life!" 40 is when more than a few things began to advise me to slow down and be a bit more careful in some areas. But don't worry. Those areas only increase as you get older!

Cheers Jim for the optimistic outlook :)

It truly is that feeling of impending doom that one knows to be irrational. Naturally when it was happening the second time my internal dialogue of course switched to 'maybe you should be listening to your body' which I dismissed however unfortunately for the rest of the dive I had the song 'listen to your heart' going round and round in my head. If that's not a cause for alarm I don't know what is ;-)

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 03:56 PM ----------

Drinking and diving do not mix. Next trip experiment with no drinking see what happens.

Yeah that is the plan. Altho still doesn't explain why 99% of similar dives with similar drink/sleep pattern didn't result in this. Not to say that it wasn't the cause. I can't think of anything else that could have caused it really altho we had, ironically, been discussing anxiety when diving the evening before over dinner. Could that have planted some subliminal message?

We don't have an real understanding of narcosis and why it manifests itself in the ways it does and at the times it does. So for all intents and purposes a subliminal type suggestion planted previously is not something I would discount.

Yeah quite possibly. I've had some very outgoing friends succumb to agoraphobia or anxiety in work contexts and it's definitely important to knock the nail on its head early.

One friend, a very good looking girl, once felt some anxiety when getting in an elevator at work. So she avoided the elevator. Then it happened in the canteen. Very - surprisingly - quickly she found all contact and environments at work anxiety inducing and became something of a hermit.

Giving in to anxiety doesn't seem like a good path. One must ride it out then get back on the horse. Just a PITA when it happens.

From the other threads about anxiety/panic I find some of the definitions interesting. On the wreck dive I feel like my body was in panic mode but I was able to control it, act rationally and get it back under control. It was still panic tho. I don't think that actually freaking out and doing the wrong things is a necessary addition to the definition. Or perhaps my definition is wrong and I should consider it extreme fear resulting in elevated heart rate and breathing. Only words perhaps but clarity is important.

I've experienced dark narcs from time to time and eventually noted the correlation between the dark narc and being tired. However, as you pointed out, it is unusual in the extreme to experience such at less than 60'.

Just throwing this out for some consideration; when was the last time you had your regs fully serviced? Is there any chance that your body is almost subliminally recognizing something ever so slightly amiss?

I've experienced dark narcs from time to time and eventually noted the correlation between the dark narcissism and being tired. However, as you pointed out, it is unusual in the extreme to experience such at less than 60'.

Just throwing this out for some consideration; when was the last time you had your regs fully serviced? Is there any chance that your body is almost subliminally recognizing something ever so slightly amiss?

Regs serviced a couple of years ago. They definitely weren't the problem. And whilst its a trivial point on the last dive I was wearing my spare mask and it all fogged up so I replaced it uw with my normal one. Without any stress at all and maintaining exact buoyancy. This is hardly a major operation but the point is on all the dives I felt really good right up to the point I didn't.

This is why the bad gas angle - even tho I'm pretty sure it wasn't that - resonated simply because the experience seemed somewhat external. As if something external was causing my body to react by raising my heart rate.

My feeling is that tiredness and alcohol the night before may simply have put my body under more stress and this manifested in this elevated heart rate which kicked off the first stop in what could have become the incident pit. Thankfully I am aware enough that completely relaxing to get ones heart rate under control is the best policy. This does mean breaking rule #6 tho and that sucks :)

First off, as long as your heart is healthy and you have reasonable exercise tolerance, an elevated heart rate is unlikely to cause you to go into IPE. It might, however, be a SYMPTOM of it, but would usually be associated with shortness of breath, as well.

Second, this sounds to some extent like a syndrome I see in the ER. I not infrequently see an older person who has a BP monitor at home, who has taken his or her blood pressure and found it high. So they wait around for 15 minutes (worrying like crazy) and check it again -- and to no one's surprise, it's higher yet. So they get even more worried, and wait a few minutes, and do a third check -- and it's gone UP! Then they come to the ER, where the long wait for someone to see them generally makes the BP go back down to normal. Anxiety feeds on itself, and anticipation of anxiety can be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

On the other hand, you might have had a poorly performing reg (did you bring your own gear?) that caused increased work of breathing, which causes anxiety. You could have been narced, which can manifest as anxiety. Or perhaps you are hyperthyroid?

It's really hard to diagnose over the internet. I would hope you had a really thorough physical evaluation at the time of your IPE, including thyroid studies. But it might be reasonable to check with your physician again, since things have changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom