Panic Attacks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was the first time he has ever had this problem he said. His last dive was about 2 months before this happened. We didn't even attempt to descend. As soon as we hit the water it happened. One thing we thought it could be was he was trying his brand new 7mil farmer John and it may have been too tight? Not sure really.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Bryan

Everyone panics sometimes, it's fairly common and often a helpful reaction. As to Al M's comment that people who have ever had a panic attack should take up tennis, well, I think he's wrong (and a bit too macho :wink: ).

1st reason - If he's right then a majority of divers should quit, now. It is very common to panic when you are in a foreign environment where you have to rely on a machine to breathe! I would bet that most divers have gone through some anxiety or panic over this or other situations underwater. Anxiety is a normal response, it's the way people handle it / recognize it that is important. 2nd reason - we need to distinguish a bit between a panic attack and people who have anxiety disorders where the panic attacks happen repeatedly. Someone who has panic attacks can usually figure out the triggers pretty easily (doesn't mean they can control their physical responses though). If there is something about diving that repeatedly triggers panic attacks then i think Al may have a point. But on the other hand I think that some people with panic disorder may actually be better equipped to handle anxiety under water than the rest of us. Many will recognize what is happening (nervous, can't breathe, heart rate up, etc) and realize that it is just a panic attack and, while they can't stop the feelings / physical response, they don't need to panic and bolt for the surface. I've worked with people with panic disorder and you'd be surprised at how good many of them are at having a normal, placid appearance when inside they are actually feeling quite anxious. They would be much more skilled at either calming themselves down or safely calling the dive that someone who has no idea what is going on and, in an all out panic, spits out their reg and shoots up.

A blanket statement like Als really isn't helpful and doesn't apply across the board.

I've had my butt kicked a few times in my life.
I've even done a couple of dives that kicked my butt.
I know that diving can be dangerous but as long as I or my buddy has air (and we damn well should have) that can save us I feel safe.
Maybe not always comfy but safe non the less
I've seen my fair share of panic situations.
One thing that they ALL had in common was that they forgot or didn't know where their air was or was going to come from.
I disagree that this happens to all divers.
It would be to easy to just blame it on poor training.
I think it's that plus more.
Andy

A panic attack does not necessarily result in panic disorder. For it to become a disorder the attack will be followed for a period of one month or more by at least one of the following: constant worry about another attack, constant worry about the cause of the attack, major behavioral changes. All of which lead to subsequent attacks that could worsen if untreated. This is a brief and incomplete outline. Found this through some research on this subject.

I think there is a general misunderstanding about what panic is, I admit I understood panic to mean an out of control response or irrational reaction, which includes freezing, to a stressful situation. But in medical terms a panic attack seems to be a high anxiety experience where a level of rational control is maintained, if diminished.

You make some interesting points Scuby Dooby, about people with panic disorder diving as long as the trigger for the attacks is not SCUBA related. While these people who have learned to recognize and control their anxiety may have an advantage over someone who has not, with or without this disorder, they probably remain more likely to experience a panic attack underwater (?) then someone who doesn't have this condition. And a panic attack places everyone closer to the edge of all out panic.

I would imagine someone with this codition should be extra cautious in selecting the dives they do and how they do them.

Stop, more like a pause, and Breathe in and out a few deeper breaths to demonstrate we remain in control of ourselves. This has a calming, relaxing effect which enables us to Think more clearly and gives us the confidence to Act more decisively.

Scuba,

While people whow often have panic attacks might be more likely to have anxiety underwater (and probably everywhere else) I don't think that necessarily means they will be more prone to a full blown panic attack. Many of these people will have learned how to control feelings of anxiety without letting them get out of control much better than the rest of us are able. Just food for thought.

KingViper:
This was the first time he has ever had this problem he said. His last dive was about 2 months before this happened. We didn't even attempt to descend. As soon as we hit the water it happened. One thing we thought it could be was he was trying his brand new 7mil farmer John and it may have been too tight? Not sure really.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Bryan

If his gear was to tight I suspect an over-inflated BC verses the wet suit. Often apprehensive people inflate a jacket style BCD to the point of venting out the dump valves. Ever tried to breath like that?????

I have been reading this post with much interest and had no intention of posting, but with the last couple of posts I feel that I can post my experience/opinions.

I live with ( not suffer from) a depression/anxiety disorder. I have experienced many panic/anxiety attacks. They used to rule my life. Through much therapy and much work I have learned to recognize a panic attack for what it is, remind myself immediately what it is and breathe through it. I do not feel it poses a hazzard to me or to my dive buddy. My panic/anxiety doesn't really come with a situation one would think would cause panic. Have I ever panicked in the water? Sure on my first real lesson. I was doing my emergency w/o air assent, felt panicked, but did it right, then when I got to the top, lost my mind a bit, couldn't stay on top of the water....my instructor was on his way to me when I suddenly remembered " DUH you have a regulator. put it in my mouth then went DUH again ( really did think DUH) and inflated my BC. And that was at my first lesson. I have a panic/anxiety disorder....but that doesn't stop me from being as able as someone who doesn't to handle situations. ( might panic afterward though). I think there is not one blanket answer for everyone.
Should someone with panixc/anxiety problems think seriously as to whether diving is safe for them? Absolutely! But whether or not I have panic/anxiety disorder doesn't change my dive plans. I know that I need to plan well, and not plan a dive outside of my boundries or comfort zone. I also know that if I am not comfortable with a dive for ANY reason, I abort. My instructor taught me well.

SkyBird

I've witnessed only one with experienced divers (due to sudden change of pressure on the eardrum causing severe dizziness and disorientation), but always consider it a potential risc. Since a certain amount of stress is inherent to diving I guess it's more about knowing yourself, knowing your options and procedures and preparing well.

yah, i've never had a full on panic attack, i've gfotten a little freaked out before but never out of control.
but i have seen people panic like that, i even had to drag someone out of ginnie by the valve once because she has completely lost it over somthing, very strange...

I've never had a panic attack in my life and I hit the half-century mark a few years back. I think it's the nature of some people to panic and others to remain calm. I've been scared ****less a few times in my life but that's not panic. That said, I'm not the kind of person you want around when a split-second life-and-death decision needs to be made--I tend to stand back and analyze the situation. Obviously I don't work in a hospital emergency room!

People who panic easily probably need to work on it and those of us who don't panic at all probably need to work even harder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom