Panic attack underwater after slight exertion (feeling out of breath)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panpangato

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know there are several threads on the subject of panic attack but wondering if anyone else has this specific problem that I have.
I have over 100 dives and feel pretty comfortable underwater. There was one incident where I had to swim against a strong current and I got out of breath very fast and felt like I was not getting enough oxygen through my regulator, panicked, and had the strongest urge to take my mask off and just get out of the water. Luckily I was able to grab the anchor line and catch my breath but after that I noticed that with the slightest elevated heart rate I feel like I’m gasping for air and start to panic. It could be a combination of psychological and being out of shape but I’m wondering if anyone else has a similar experience and any tips on dealing with this problem. Exercises for strengthening the lung perhaps? Thank you for your comments in advance!

How deep?

We’re you wearing a hood? I feel that can often increase this sensation. Also, letting some water into the hood can often help.

Over breathing is what leads to a panic attack. Read “ The Oxygen Advantage “ by Patrick McKeown.

I think thats CO2
Its a really bad gas.. try to fokus on breathing slow and deep. And especially exhaling all the air, so you vent the co2. After 2-3 breaths you should feel better.

I know this feeling. Its really really bad. But you can handle it.

And remember: you cant overbreath a regulator. Its just in your head.

And remember: you cant overbreath a regulator. Its just in your head.
Thats actually not true, over breathing is a big problem with new divers. They flush out to much CO2 leading to a panic attack. In fact over breathing is a wide spread problem with a lot of people.

I mean its not possible to overbreath a regulator, because they give so much gas, its not possible to breath it all.
A co2 buildup causes the sense to have not enough "oxygen". Thats whats usually called overbreathing.

Co2 panicked divers usually say, that the regulator didnt give enough gas, which is not true. The problem is, that the divers didnt exhale enough, so a co2 buildup is possible.

I had this feeling at 100 ft while anchored in a canal against the current and I just started ascending with accelerated breathing until I was able to "feel" the oxygen again. By that time I thought it was something related to the regulator facing the current which lead to the event, now I believe it was a mix of both panick and this. I was afraid that the same would happen again during that trip and tried to focus on my breathing during the dives and the fear eventually went away, changing regulators might help as well with the mental factor.

CO2 buildup usually comes with a headache and nausea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom