Panhandle Dive shops/trips for March 2022 recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leoparddog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Its been 18 months since our last dives and probably almost 3 years for our adult daughter. She's coming home to Tally for a spring break and we wanted to get a dive in somewhere between Mexico Beach and Panama City. I'm hoping I can get a recommendation for a safe reputable dive shop for us to get back in the water and do a couple of dives the weekend of March 17, and 18th.
Thanks

I've had good experiences with both Panama City Diving (they also do guided shore dives near the St. Andrews jetties) and Dive Locker in Panama City Beach.

Since it's been a while, you should know that neither of those normally have Dive Masters in the water for their boat dives -- those dives are mostly descending and ascending on a line down to artificial reefs (sunken boats, bridge trestles, etc.) and exploring around the artificial reef, so you just have to be able to find your way back to the mooring line. Pretty easy on the wrecks, slightly more tricky on some structures that are more like huge rubble piles.

You could probably request a private DM from either if you wanted. If you do the shore dive with Panama City Diving, they will have a DM guide you on that -- you just need to clarify the timing with then as it depends on the tide.

Thanks Rob,
now that I think on it, our daughter did dive with us in Key Largo 18 months ago. After looking around at the dive shops and what they are charging I've decided "screw that". I have a 21' Center Console that I go out fishing on up to 30 miles off shore and there are plenty of shallower public reefs and sunk boats that we can dive out of my own boat. I'll rent some tanks and weights, do so some pool sessions in our backyard 8' deep pool and go explore the St. Mark's reef (where I never catch fish) or the sunk shrimp boat 4 miles or so offshore of Carrabelle. Both of those are 30' deep or less.

Thanks Rob,
now that I think on it, our daughter did dive with us in Key Largo 18 months ago. After looking around at the dive shops and what they are charging I've decided "screw that". I have a 21' Center Console that I go out fishing on up to 30 miles off shore and there are plenty of shallower public reefs and sunk boats that we can dive out of my own boat. I'll rent some tanks and weights, do so some pool sessions in our backyard 8' deep pool and go explore the St. Mark's reef (where I never catch fish) or the sunk shrimp boat 4 miles or so offshore of Carrabelle. Both of those are 30' deep or less.
I was looking back at some posts on FL panhandle diving and saw this one again -- how did your trip go? Would love to hear more info on St. Mark's reef and Carrabelle -- not a ton of info out there on these locations.

Hi Rob,
I haven't dove them yet, just had some challenges. 1) I need at least 3 folks - two to dive while one stays with the boat. Also I haven't ordered the scuba tank holders. I found them online and they aren't expensive just hasn't happened yet.
This guy spearfishes in the area and posts videos of the local Carrabelle reefs.

Hey, that water color and viz looks pretty darn good for the panhandle. Let me know if you need an extra diver some time! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom