Panay Explorers, Inc. Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yep, we'll have aircon.....full up Western standards. The dive shop will be up to snuff as well.

BabyD, im just curious... what are we going to expect in terms of diving in Culasi? like what stuff are we going to see?

Well, that is a very good question Maggie. We have been very lucky to have discovered several sites that are drastically different and offer different things. The coral is healthy in most places. We do have some bleaching and remnants of past cycanide fishing. The typhoons have taken their toll on the shallow corals. We are lucky to have all of the normal species of coral. I mean all too. We have giant clams that are in the 10 cm to 3/4 meter range, nudi's of every sort, crustaceans of every Indo-Pacific variety, the normal usual suspects that live among the reefs, pelagic fish of every sort (Hammerhead, Greys, White Tips, Black Tips, Napoleons, Tuna, Marlins, etc.). We do have hawksbills and Whale sharks but I have only seen both once. The terrain is really a mix of black volcanic sand, white coral sand and plain old rocks. Our favorite sites (Nablag Tugpo and Nablag Sur) are always filled with new inhabitants. The night diving is pretty awesome. I think we have every lionfish that lives in the Sulu Sea. We have cuttlefish and octopus. We do have several resident blue rings. I have seen one alligator fish (what a bizarre critter). We have identified 4 walls worthy of diving regularly. We have found several remnants of fallen corals that have become overgrown with new life as well. The visibility runs about 30 meters most of the year. Temperature is consistently in the 27-29 celsius range. We have never been in current (over 100 recon dives). The surface can get rough during the windy season. It is mix of Verde and Tubby without current.

I may have missed it in previous postings but, any idea when you are likely to be 'open for business'

Phil

He won't. Go there in 3-4 years and the locals will tell you of this buang (crazy) Kano who had big plans..."that's his bangka over there. He just hangs out and dives now and takes care of all his kids". He'll just get absorbed by the life style of Western Panay....I hope to do that soon too. :D, just to the south of BabyD.

No kids at home (grown and making their own money), not crazy, hope to open in mid-2009, definately will get absorbed by the lifestyle of Western Panay!

Back
Top Bottom