Panasonic TZ10/ZS7 and Ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fran2bo3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently purchased a Panasonic TZ10(known as the ZS7 in the US), it is a great camera and I liked the idea of the dedicated underwater programme option. I have been looking for a suitable housing and found the following were available, Panasonic, Ikelite and 10Bar. As Ikelite are a reputable camera housing manufacturer I was attracted to theirs until I saw that the large lens surround almost totally blocks the in-built flash, meaning that you have no option but to buy a separate flash, thereby adding considerably to the price! I have used a Sea and Sea DX 1g before and found using the wide angle lens without a strobe resulted in large shadows across the photos and expect you would get the same results from the Panasonic

Has anyone had experience of using this housing and give me some feedback as to whether the flash is blocked. If anyone has used the 10Bar either it would help my search, the 10Bar costs more but looks really well built!

Many non OEM housings partially block the camera's flash, generating some complaints. Most OEM housings do not seem to generate as many blocking complaints, perhaps because the one's that do partially block come with an OEM diffuser that attaches at a similar plane to the port glass, lessening the shadow effect.

Most P&S w/ wet lens, be it macro, wide or fisheye, will block the camera's flash. Leonardo MacGyver might use dark chocolate macadamia nut can lid, and even maybe a Fosters beer can (blue!), to make a "reflector box" &/or diffuser that extends out to partially wrap at the same plane as the external lens, or non OEM port glass.

The 10Bar TZ10 aluminum housing is very rugged and quite compact with a working depth rating of 200'. All controls are available, however the flash is really only intended to fire an external strobe. However, one customer recently took one to hawaii and just shot available light using a red filter in manual white balance. It worked out very well for her.

The Ikelite TZ10 is a nice housing, fairly popular, but larger. It has visible controls and is fairly easy to work. The same applies, with port is large to accommodate the wide Panasonic lens. It does come with a diffuser. How much shadow you see will depend on how close you are to your subject while using the internal flash. You can also use a filter with it as well.

Hope that helps.
Jack

Which one did you decide on fran2bo3 ?
I can get a panasonic housing for my tz10 for @ £180 - or I can get an ikelite for @ £240. Are the ikelites worth the extra money & will I need an external flash with either of these housings ?
I know there is a different depth rating between them, but I doubt if I'll ever want to take any photos below the 40m range, so the depth ratings are not an issue for me.

Ive actually got a TZ10 with the OEM housing, and have been more than happy with it. It may not be as big and sturdy as the Ikelite or 10Bar, but it does the job just fine, controls are easy to use and its compact enough to clip onto your BC if you need your hands free. I have added the Inon Lens Mount for the 67mm macro, and while that does create a shadow from the onboard flash being blocked, its really easy to produce a diffuser to go around the macro lens to overcome it....think milk carton !
Image wise the camera is fine underwater (at low magnifications !) but do yourself a favour, either use "Cloudy" and tweak in post, or use manual white balance, the underwater modes arent all that great IMO
Moose

Thanks for your reply and advice Mooseman - I think I'll go for the OEM housing mainly due to the size - the Ikelite is quite a bit bigger & heavier so I doubt if it will fit in my BC pocket. Do you always use the internal flash with it ?

I used the onboard flash exclusively in Bali last year, then bought myself a strobe (Sea+Sea YS01) and rigged a fibre connection and blanking velcro for it (a bit of a McGuyver job as the housing is obviously designed with Inon strobes in mind....hell even the last firmware update from Panasonic was for INON flash sync issues !!!) anyways that worked fine in Sharm back in march. Both sets of pics are on my flickr (mooseman1007star's photosets on Flickr). Just remember onboard flash is only useable for macro, it just causes backscatter and grief for anything more than ~12 inches away.
You can get a Inon or Dyron mounts for 67mm lenses (macro only) or red filters, ive got the Inon, but would suggest going for the Dyron as its much easier to get on/off plus being half the price. I would suggest buying a tray/handle even if youre not getting a strobe at the minute as it really does help to steady the camera especially when doing videos!
All in all im happy enough with the camera that im selling my Fuji F100 which i loved...really intuitive camera/housing 1
Just bought myself a Olympus EPL-2 setup, but will continue to take the pana with on trips for dives when space/currents are an issue, or for my fiance to use.
Either way....Enjoy
Mooseman:D

The Bali photos are nice, clear & full of colour, so made my mind up now - OEM housing it will be, will see if there are any offers at the dive show in Oct - dont really need it till my holiday in February :). Thanks again for your input.

The Bali photos are nice, clear & full of colour, so made my mind up now - OEM housing it will be, will see if there are any offers at the dive show in Oct - dont really need it till my holiday in February :). Thanks again for your input.

Well I was offered an Ikelite housing at a price I could not refuse, will have to wait till Feb to test it out.

An offer you couldnt refuse ??? I hope that didnt come with a horse's head (or should that be a seahorse's head) on your pillow :)
Definately found macro was a real strong point of the camera, focussed really well, and videos were great. If you get a chance grab a macro lens, you wont be disappointed
Mooseman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom