Panasonic Lumix TZ3 lighting source?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dadvocate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, everyone!

I’m diving with a point and shoot Panasonic Lumix TZ3 camera as I try to decide if a more expensive camera is something I want to invest in. I’ve had my fun and taken some good shots, but the time has come for me to try out using and external lighting source. The trick is that there doesn’t seem to be one made specifically for this camera series (or I’ve simply missed it), which means I would need to find a light source I can manipulate manually to use with this camera.

I admit straight away that I have no idea what is out there other than what is hyped in my dive magazines and from what I see other divers carrying. For the most part, the divers I see have set ups far and away better than mine, so I don’t know what would be a good place to start given my camera type and ability at the moment.

If any of you have a camera like mine and have a recommendation or two for what is compatible as a lighting source that isn’t crazy expensive, I would be grateful. I’m off to Thailand in December and would like to pick up a light before that trip.

Cheers!

Hey! I know what you mean by the limitations of the TZ3 - Noisy at moderate ISO and no manual controls..I've got one - and still love it. If you check out INONs strobes you'll see one hookup specially made for the tz3. They are pricey rigs for a point and shoot - but I've seen enough guys with dome ports sporting inon's newer strobes. I've got one, but won't have a chance to use it underwater till december 8 (. On land the optical sync works like a champ, good exposures from medium tele to wide. Macro shots seem pretty nice.
Cheers!

Thanks, Rezoon, and welcome to the SB while I am at it. I've looked at the home site but seem too tired to notice which rig is the right set up for my camera. Which Inon unit are you using?

Cheers!

Yea - thats the downside to INON. They have such a diversity of products, its hard to find what you need! I did find the web page showing an inon-tz3 rig. Here it is:

INON America - News & Events

The rig I put together is similar to the bottom, with the macro lens attachment but a swapped in the z-240 strobe and switched the arms to their newer slimmer style. Hope that helps!

jr

I don't know if this is of any help to the OP, but I have a similiar camera (Panasonic TZ1) and rigged it up with a Sealife SL 961 Digital Pro as the synced flash and a Sealife SL-960 as a slave off it. By no means a great quality set up, but I have less than $400 into it and its' worked pretty well. I made my own mounting tray which allowed me to space the arms out a bit further. The biggest drawback has been the LineLock arms which can uncouple if bent too far.

I also have a Panasonic TZ1, and looking for stobe options. Can anyone suggest other options other than the Sealife SL961 that grassyknoll uses?

Hi, everyone!

I’m diving with a point and shoot Panasonic Lumix TZ3 camera as I try to decide if a more expensive camera is something I want to invest in. I’ve had my fun and taken some good shots, but the time has come for me to try out using and external lighting source. The trick is that there doesn’t seem to be one made specifically for this camera series (or I’ve simply missed it), which means I would need to find a light source I can manipulate manually to use with this camera.

I admit straight away that I have no idea what is out there other than what is hyped in my dive magazines and from what I see other divers carrying. For the most part, the divers I see have set ups far and away better than mine, so I don’t know what would be a good place to start given my camera type and ability at the moment.

If any of you have a camera like mine and have a recommendation or two for what is compatible as a lighting source that isn’t crazy expensive, I would be grateful. I’m off to Thailand in December and would like to pick up a light before that trip.

Cheers!
Do you still have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3?

My camera broke and I'm looking for another one to fit my housing.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom