Panasonic GF1 advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winky84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, new to this site (and to underwater photography relatively).
I have a few questions if someone can help?
Firstly, in very basic terms please (I am not at all technical yet) I was wondering a few things about my camera. I have a Panasonic Lumix GF1 with a 10bar housing. I've used it for one trip but not getting great results (yes more due to me than the camera obviously!). I was wondering a couple of things;
Firstly can anyone recommend a strobe setup (ie best type to use with said camera and housing) and whether 2 strobes are necessary as seem to be suggested elsewhere in the forums.
Secondly, I have a dome port to fit the 15-45mm lens (that's about the limit of my technical knowledge) - is there a way of getting decent macro shots on a dive whilst not limiting the camera to only being in 'macro mode' (please go easy on me!!!); I love getting shots of Nudi's but don't want to be missing other big stuff due to the lens... I see some cameras have changeable lenses whilst diving but can't see that working on this camera...
Thirdly what setting should I practice using the camera on on land that would translate well to water (ie aperture priority/shutter speed etc) - I tried to take a few pics and the camera refused but I think this was because the auto-focus was struggling. I find the housing buttons a bit fiddly which makes it really difficult to manually focus!
I realise I need a lot more help than anyone can put into writing here, but any help/advice would be awesome.
Cheers!

A Sea & Sea YS110a would do very well with this setup or a couple of Sola 600 lights. The camera has got a fantastic video mode, which adjusts the exposure & focusing automatically so using just strobes won't do. You can do photography on lights & strobes but you can't do video on strobes. I've gone from twin strobes to twin lights for all photography & videography now. (Fa & Mi (Italian) LED lights.) What is the diameter of your port? If it has threads, you should be able to find macro wet lens to fit. Practice on P (Program) mode then graduate to A (aperture), S(shutter) & finally Manual. With lights, you should have no problem auto-focusing.

A Sea & Sea YS110a would do very well with this setup or a couple of Sola 600 lights. The camera has got a fantastic video mode, which adjusts the exposure & focusing automatically so using just strobes won't do. You can do photography on lights & strobes but you can't do video on strobes. I've gone from twin strobes to twin lights for all photography & videography now. (Fa & Mi (Italian) LED lights.) What is the diameter of your port? If it has threads, you should be able to find macro wet lens to fit. Practice on P (Program) mode then graduate to A (aperture), S(shutter) & finally Manual. With lights, you should have no problem auto-focusing.

Thanks pummkin, thats really useful info. So the Sea and Sea is a strobe but you would suggest lights to aid video? And with the Sola's you recommend having two? I've just had a look but how does the ball mount then attach?
The port diameter is about 12cm diameter or 38ish circumference and it does have threads; would you know of any appropriate wet macro lenses that you could recommend at all?
Thanks so much for your help with this, it is much appreciated (and needed!!!).

You might also look at the Inon S2000 strobe if you are shooting mostly macro photos. It is very small and a bunch cheaper than the YS110a. As for the Sola, I would look at the new Sola 800 for both a focus light, night dive light and a reasonable light to shoot video with but unlike pummkin, I can not recommend shooting stills with just lights, I don't think you will be happy with the results. You don't need (for the most part) either two strobes or two video lights. Look at the Seraya's Secrets video on our website, my wife shot most of that with a single Sola light. If you are shooting macro, there are add on macro lenses for that housing I believe but they will need a flat port. That doesn't mean you can't shoot bigger stuff but you will have a better chance to shoot the little stuff too.

Bill

Argh, I don't have a flat port so don't think that is a viable option. Very annoying as I dont want to limit myself to macro or normal pictures...
Thanks for the further advice regarding the strobe, I am getting insanely baffled with it all. So I need to get the strobe, find an arm that suits my camera and then find a wire to attach it all? And does it just link up and fire when you press the shutter like the normal flash? Sorry to be so clueless, I'm wondering whether to give up and go a lot simpler with a decent digital camera that does macro etc without interchangeable lenses...

Also, INCREDIBLE photo's and vids bvanant, really amazing stuff!

Thanks for the further advice regarding the strobe, I am getting insanely baffled with it all. So I need to get the strobe, find an arm that suits my camera and then find a wire to attach it all? And does it just link up and fire when you press the shutter like the normal flash?

The housing will accept a wired strobe or optical firing. You have more choices with optical. The little S2000 that Bill was talking about would be a good pick. They're tiny, light and work nicely. You'll need a tray and strobe arm. 10 Bar sells an arm for your housing or you can use someone else's. Optical strobes are nice because they mimic the cameras built-in flash and you can allow the camera to meter the strobe (ttl metering). A single strobe is often adequate for macro.

If you look at the Underwater Photography Guide Guide to Underwater Photography | Underwater Photography Guide you'll find a lot of the info you're looking for, including settings for the camera, info on strobe set-up, etc. There are also lots of books available, but a lot of the info is in the above link, and it is explained very simply and effectively.

Thanks pummkin, thats really useful info. So the Sea and Sea is a strobe but you would suggest lights to aid video? And with the Sola's you recommend having two? I've just had a look but how does the ball mount then attach?
The port diameter is about 12cm diameter or 38ish circumference and it does have threads; would you know of any appropriate wet macro lenses that you could recommend at all?
Thanks so much for your help with this, it is much appreciated (and needed!!!).

Wet lenses only fit flat ports. With the technology of video in cameras, it would be a shame if you limit yourself to strobes only. Here's some of my shots taken on the LX3 (essentially a less capable camera than the GF1, which with the hack, you can get 1080HD videos. I also own the GF1) with one Fa&Mi video light. The second light should be on the way to address shadows. The result is decent for one light. I have videos of this fish too but I'm travelling at the moment & can't post much.

P1180526.jpg

Larry C, that's really helpful on the strobes, thanks. I will have a look at the link in depth when I get home.Just a bit frustrated that I am limited to either macro or normal as I have a domed port to fit my current lens... lots to think about, thanks everyone for your guidance!

Back
Top Bottom