Panama Vs Destin for Snorkeling?

Destin Vs Panama City for Snorkeling

• Destin (Destin Jetties)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noahsan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everybody, my name is Noah, I'm new to the forums here. I'm an amateur freediver (Snorkeler) and photographer and I would love to take a trip to either Destin or Panama City for a four day trip. First question is, in your guys (and Gals) opinion, which is better for a beginner snorkeler who wants to get some good snorkeling experience and hopefully some good underwater photos, Destin or Panama City? Feel free to speak your mind on your preference, I would love to hear different opinions! :wink: I know they both are very similar, so I would love to hear where and why you prefer one over the other.

My second question is, I was planning on going the 19 through 23 of August, but it seems all high tides will occur in the middle of the night, I know it will affect visibility but how much? Is it worth holding off a week and going on the 27 of August when the tides will occur in the daylight hours?

I plan on either getting a charter to take me to snorkel sites no matter if I choose Destin or Panama, or I am open to renting jet skis or a pontoon boat for a day. I hear Shell Island is nice if you have a boat rented to explore, but I have heard good things about Destin Jetties as well, so its a toss up right now!

It is more than just the visability with the tides, one can get a ripping current when not at slack time.

I like them both.

For example, there are sea horses at Destin...and you can find sea spiders at the park..

I would do both.. but only at high tide.

Thanks for the response!

Forgive me because this is going to be a beginner question, but I hear people keep saying "Slack Tide" and I honestly have no idea what this is. I am just now understanding the importance of High Tide diving when it comes to the areas I am nearest (Gulf of Mexico). But from your answer it seems that delaying the trip for better high tide times would be worth it.

Thanks again, Noah

No problem.. it means when the tides are changing directions. Ideally, one would like to dive right before maximum high tide... the water slows down coming in... and is not moving and then starts to go back out...

Also, always check the height of the tides...smaller differences are better.. water not going as fast.

I enjoy the Panama City jetties much more than Destin, although I have been to Destin many more times. With the setup at Panama City, you can enter the channel at midpoint and drift inland, as long as the tide is on the way in. The return trip then is on the shallow (kiddy pool) side, where the currents become a non factor. Outgoing tides are a bit trickier.

I am an avid snorkeler, and because I have a condo in Destin, I have snorkeled there many, many times. Here is post I wrote for TripAdvisor back in 2005 about snorkeling in Destin that should give you plenty of info. Scroll down to the post by Hawkfish (that's my name on TripAdvisor):
Snorkeling in September? - Destin Forum - TripAdvisor
Despite my extensive snorkeling in Destin, I never made over to the Panama City jetties until this past June. I have always found that comparing snorkeling/dive localities is usually an apples/oranges type thing. There are advantages/disadvantages to most sites, and often this makes it hard to rate one place as better than another. I found this to be true for the Destin jetties vs. the Panama City jetties. One good thing about the Panama City jetties in the state park is that there is a lot of diverse stuff growing on the rocks. Many places were just covered with anemones and urchins, and there is one species of coral that grows there. In Destin, hardly anything grows on the rocks except for a fuzz of algae. There are a few anemones and urchins, but you have to look to find them. However, one thing that disappointed me about Panama City was that the visibility on the day I went was less than on any of the days I snorkeled at Destin this year. I am not sure this if this is usually the case, but I suspect Destin generally may have better visibility. Anyone else have an opinion on this? I think Destin had more schools of juvenile fish. Often there are thousands and thousands of little fish there. The current at Panama City was more of a problem for me than it usually is in Destin, but maybe this was because I know Destin so well that I am able to avoid current. You can park closer to the beach at the state park in Panama City. In Destin you have to undergo a rather lengthy "dead march" from your car to get to the jetties for snorkeling/diving.

Although I have only been to the jetties in Panama City once, I have rented a pontoon boat there three different times to snorkel the grass flats behind Shell Island. This is great fun, and I highly recommend it, but a full day rental is about $250. Although the snorkeling is not spectacular (visibility will probably be only 10-12 feet), if you poke around long enough you will see some interesting things that you may not see at the jetties - live shells, scallops, sand dollars, starfish, weird crabs, and lots of stingrays. And it is so darn easy; there is no current and most of the time you are in water 3-4 feet deep.

For sure, if you want decent snorkeling conditions at either Destin or Panama City, you should schedule your vacation when high tide occurs during the day. That is when the clear offshore water from the Gulf will be in the passes.

Over the years, I have taken many snorkeling photos in Destin, plus a few in Panama City. These will give an idea of what you may see at either of these places under good conditions:
Destin Florida snorkeling - a set on Flickr

Thanks Dave! I actually found your post when I did a Google search on Destin Snorkeling, it had tons of great information! Your post on TripADdisor had a wealth of good information, glad to meet you on the ScubaBoard now! :wink:

I definitely decided it would be better to postpone the trip a week for more favorable high tide times, so thats one tough decision down. And after doing some reading on here and other places, I think I am going to try a Destin trip first. I by no means am writing Panama off, I would really love to go to St Andrews Park and Shell Island, so that will be my next trip after Destin. Since I live on the Gulf Coast, both places are not that far of a drive, about 5 hours, so hopefully these two places will be my new stomping ground!

Thanks to everyone for the comments, they were incredibly helpful! I will be posting a trip report when I return, hopefully I will get some good pics! Noah

Hands down I would do St Adrews!! You can snorkel and theres a 50' profile and the other side of the rocks that holds all kinds of fish!!! I'll be there this weekend with the kids diving!!!

I have not been to Destin, but I dove St Andrews Jetties over the 4th of July. saw a lot of the usual fish, and saw a goliath grouper hanging out there as well. Thing was huge. We made the mistake on on of our dives of getting there a little too late right after high tide, and ended up a little further out than we wanted due to the current. If you do to to St Andrews eventually, get there when they open. If you don't get a close parking spot it could be a heck of a walk with all your gear.

Thanks Brian, St Andrews is definitely next on my hit list, so I will be sure to try get there early for a good parking spot! Nothing worse than having a long walk in the beating sun with all your gear... and the worst part for me is knowing that after get done with snorkeling you have to make the walk back! :depressed:

Back
Top Bottom