Panama floods, mudslide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you realize also that triton shells are one of the only predators of the dreaded crown of thorns starfish? Taking these shells or supporting the sales of these shells is indirectly helping the destruction of coral reefs....

Yes, I FULLY realize this. I thought they were the ONLY predators of Crown of Thorns.
And you mean Tritons Trumpets, Atlantic (Charonia variegata) and Pacific. Are you a Conchologist? I haven't heard that all the other Tritons do this. I understand your concern. Back to my OP question--Any news on the flood damage? and secondary one-- Have you seen any good big shells?

Last edited:
I should add that I found that Crown of Thorns only exist at this point at least, in the Pacific (they are on the West Coast of Panama only, not in the Caribbean). Their predators are the Pacific Triton's Trumpet, not the Atlantic Triton's Trumpet, a slightly smaller species.

I do not know if you still need info or not but I wrote to a friend who is in PMA now and she said Portobelo was a real mess after the floods with mudslides on the historic ruins and some of the houses. The rains there were unprecedented and breaking all records. Panama, in the 25 years that I lived there, was climate-wise relatively disasterless. Mother Earth is screaming and climatic changes are now happening in PMA also.

You can go to www.panama-guide.com as they have lots of info and photos of Portobelo.

If you are going in January things should be back to normal. I know the rains have slowed down. Normally dry season begins in mid to late December so it should be drier but who knows for sure with La Nina affecting the globe...here is an article that might be of interest.
La Nia effect expected to last through March

tarzana

tarzana, thanks for the input and web sites.

Im referring to the specific ones you mentioned in your thread. helmet and triton are predators... and the humphead wrasse is one of the only fish that is a predator. Look take your shell, but you know you are not the only guy in the world saying "oh its just one."
Thats the problem, so why be a part of the problem to have your "scientific collection."
Yes there are so many things screwing up the oceans reefs, but this is one of them. Why have the attitude Well its all going to sh*t any ways take what I can get now.
Find them on the beaches, polish them up, and join others who dont want to be apart of taking what is not needed for survival from the ocean.

Im referring to the specific ones you mentioned in your thread. helmet and triton are predators... and the humphead wrasse is one of the only fish that is a predator. Look take your shell, but you know you are not the only guy in the world saying "oh its just one."
Thats the problem, so why be a part of the problem to have your "scientific collection."
Yes there are so many things screwing up the oceans reefs, but this is one of them. Why have the attitude Well its all going to sh*t any ways take what I can get now.
Find them on the beaches, polish them up, and join others who dont want to be apart of taking what is not needed for survival from the ocean.

Yes, they are predators, and you don't want me taking anything live--I understand that. Almost everything is a predator of something else. But I'm missing something--Did you not refer specifically to Tritons as predators of the dreaded Crown of Thorns? As I posted, there is no place I could find on google that says Crown of Thorns are anywhere but in Pacific waters, and I'm not going there.

Last edited:
you are right no COT in the Atlantic yet... and yes you understand my major argument not taking anything alive.... Thanks for the chat....

you are right no COT in the Atlantic yet... and yes you understand my major argument not taking anything alive.... Thanks for the chat....

Thank you. It's a refreshing change to have a total disagreement with someone on SB and have it remain 100% civil. Happy diving.

Yea I hate when people go on and on.... Opinions are like a-holes we all have them and we have the right to have them or we would all be constipated!! Happy diving to you and let me know how panama was....

I'll be leaving shortly for Panama. Does anyone know if the main highway between Panama City and Colon is open? What about the road fro colon to portobelo? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom