Question Panama Diving Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, so I've been perusing Santa Catalina, Bocas del Toro, Isla Coiba, etc. and now I want to be there. However, how the hell does one get to anywhere in Panama that doesn't take 11 hours on what looks like some seriously boring highways?
We flew to Bocas both times we went, little local plane.

We flew to Bocas both times we went, little local plane.
yeah, my wife is not going to go for that. we flew in a 12 seater from san andres to isla providencia and she cut off the circulation to my fingers both directions.

Portobelo, on the Caribbean side, is about 1.5 hours from Panama City. My friend owns a shop in Portobelo (Golden Frog Scuba) and runs really enjoyable, laid back trips. If you want to go to Bocas, you can fly from the Albrook airport to David. That will cut out about 8 hours of driving. Coiba is closer to Panama City, but it's still a fairly long drive.
Thank you so much.

I love it when a plan comes together.

@BoundForElsewhere, if your interested in Portobelo, the owner of Golden Frog Scuba (Rey) can help arrange for transportation if you don't want to drive. It's not that difficult, but there is a part of the drive that can be a bit sketchy. He operates out of small hotel on the Caribbean (Hotel Bongo). It's no luxury resort, but it's pretty new, clean, has AC, and has a nice restaurant/bar on a pier over the water. Oh yeah, after you have the pineapples, you'll never be able to eat one in the US again!

@BoundForElsewhere, if your interested in Portobelo, the owner of Golden Frog Scuba (Rey) can help arrange for transportation if you don't want to drive. It's not that difficult, but there is a part of the drive that can be a bit sketchy. He operates out of small hotel on the Caribbean (Hotel Bongo). It's no luxury resort, but it's pretty new, clean, has AC, and has a nice restaurant/bar on a pier over the water. Oh yeah, after you have the pineapples, you'll never be able to eat one in the US again!
I had my first real pineapple in Nicaragua years ago, and yeah, what we have here shouldn't even be called pineapple.

I checked out Portobelo... no beaches?

There is a tiny little piece of beach at the bongo hotel. There is a little island a few hundred meters out with a better beach, but some local shop charges to ferry you out there. Finally, there are a couple of nice beaches that are accessible only by boat. Rey takes his divers to those for the snacks and SI.

There is a tiny little piece of beach at the bongo hotel. There is a little island a few hundred meters out with a better beach, but some local shop charges to ferry you out there. Finally, there are a couple of nice beaches that are accessible only by boat. Rey takes his divers to those for the snacks and SI.
ok. that helps with the rest of the family. thank you. I like that little house they have, too. now just to figure out when to go.

Oh yeah, I've stayed in the house too. It's pretty nice and certainly has a lot more room for a family to spread out, compared to the hotel. There's a nice back porch too. If you decide to go in June or July, lemme know, I'll be there off on those months.

+1 on Rey on Golden Frog Scuba, excellent service and reliable. We did 8 dives with him. We stayed on a small water front Airbnb in Jose Pobre and Rey was kind enough to pickup us there in the panga. If possible try to dive in Farallones, beautiful dives. Please note that after heavy rains visibility on some sites will be so-so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom